Embarassing question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably my first senior moment...maybe I should celebrate.

I'm trying to remember the name of a door component.

I have an old door, maybe 55 to 60 yrs on the back of the garage.
It opens outwards.
At the bottom is a wooden drip piece which is as wide as the door and maybe 31/2 to 4 inches tall and it projects out about 2 1/2 inches. Section is roughly a lazy ogee with a drip groove underneath.

Its rotten in parts and because its planted on, screwed I assume, its hard to see how to repair except to replace.

Whats it called and can I still buy the part.

regards
Alan

Drip-strip? You used to be able to get them at our local timber yard, but I've no idea if that is still the case. You may have to spend half an hour with a router table and a scraper.
S

"Step" or "sill" I would have thought as the "jamb" isn't normally at the bottom too. If you want an exact match you'll probably have to make it yourself. But not after you've had a nice cup of tea and a nap

Aidan

I was in my local Shires Timber (which is part of Travis Perkins I think) yesterday, and noticed they had these in. So it should be fairly easy to pick up in a builder's merchant.

Thanks for all of your help with my memory.

The idea of it being called a Weather bar is probably a good one...that rings a bell and its what my 80 yr old neigbour called it 20 minutes ago.

I actually bought one today from B&Q. Yes really. Its made of wood. How extraordinary, looks like Mahogany or probably Sapele, its 36 inches long, is a good match to the old one shape wise and even has a drip groove underneath, and it cost me £5.69.

I'm amazed that it could be so cheap and in a decent timber from B&Q.

By the way B&Q don't agree with your ideas for a name for it. They mistakenly believe it's called a Door Bottom Weather Drip Rail. I knew it was to good top be true.

regards
Alan

Hi Alan
I know it as a weather bar and also bought one recently from B&Q. It was in Mahogany and the clever design enabled it to be used as a wide or narrow bar. Strangest thing of all I asked one of the assistants if they had a weather bar and he actually knew what I was on about! It must also have been my lucky day because I managed to go through the self-serve checkout without swearing at it!!
Regards Keith

The good thing about the double drip groove is that you can use the one in the vertical face to fill with mastic and seal it against the door face.

Bob

The Eriba Turner":25wfiuhj said:
! It must also have been my lucky day because I managed to go through the self-serve checkout without swearing at it!!
I once bought 4 coach screws through the self-serve checkout. It was an experience i will remember for a long long time.

It's a weatherboard, to be pedantic. A weather bar, or water bar, is a different thing.

Phil

I guess it is a regional thing with names varying from place to place.

to me weather bar is the wooden or aluminium bit that fits to the door and water bar, the strip of metal inset into the sill on inward opening doors.

Bob

Well if it's done nothing else, this thread has established that not knowing what the thing's called should not be a cause for embarrassment... :lol:

Beech,

If your door opens outwards, and doesn't often get direct rain, do you need a drip-strip? (Other than to detect 'drips' on two legs!)

If the door frame is sound, and the door is flush with the outer face of the frame then just a 'threshold strip' inside should be fine.

Any water will run off the door and onto the threshold, which slopes away. Water will drip off that onto the ground which should be lower than the door of course.

Or am I having an 'Intellectual Intermission' myself?
:D

Regards

John
:)

Latest posts

Back