Email to SMS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when I've been in the workshop, I might be waiting for a key email to come through. As a result I was wasting a lot of time keep going back to the house to check emails or doing it on the phone.

Now I've set up a Rule in Apple Mail that will forward the key email as an SMS message to my phone.

Works a treat.

Why not just setup the email account on your phone - if you still have a smartphone that is? Seems around about type of way to do it. Although I just realize the two threads may be connected, your wifi etc isn't working on your phone.

Not sure what you mean, Chems. My email account is not part of Google . I can access my email account from a web browser on the smartphone but that still means that I have to keep logging in and checking...and then I see all the other emails ....which tend to divert me from the job in hand.

My way means I get an indication when the SMS comes in from the forwarded email. Only thing I need to do is set up a different notification ringtone somehow to differentiate between other SMS messages and this key one. ideally i'd like to have no notifications for SMS messages other than the key one but perhaps that is a bit too much to ask.

Roger
My email is not part of Google either, but I get all my emails on my phone, too. You can add accounts that are not Google, and you don't have to access them via the Web.
S

Same here all my email accounts are accessible from my phone.
I tend to deal with most of them from that too.

Rod

But then I'd be no better off than accessing it via webmail....I still have to keep remembering to check it ...and then I end up seeing all the other emails and forum notifications...and then I go to the forums and have a look and before I know it, it is time for supper!

And as far as I can see the only way to distinguish audibly for emails from a specific sender is to create another email account on gmail, say, and assign a different tone to that account. Set up a rule that forwards emails from the special sender to this new gmail account. So the only audible notification tone is when this new gmail account gets an email (which will only be as a result of the forwarding rule).

Bit convoluted!

RogerS":1vzh60e2 said:
Now I've set up a Rule in Apple Mail that will forward the key email as an SMS message to my phone.
How do you do that then Roger?

i am on Mail 4.6 and I only see actions to forward to other mail boxes and not phone numbers

cheers

Andy

dedee":2sq7ywni said:
RogerS":2sq7ywni said:
How do you do that then Roger?

i am on Mail 4.6 and I only see actions to forward to other mail boxes and not phone numbers

cheers

Andy

I've signed up to a company called Kapow ....you send the email to [email protected]

Some mobile providers will also support this service....depends who you use. Usually it is something like [email protected]

It costs peanuts to send an SMS message and I don't expect that many.

However, there is a free way of doing the same thing. Set up a new email account on gmail. Call it something like [email protected]

You create an account on your smartphone to access this new email account and assign a dedicated notification ringtone to it (for when it gets an email). Then in you Apple Mail, set up the forwarding rule to forward to this new email account.

So the sequence is :

mail comes into your normal email account from Mike
Mail forwards it automatically to [email protected]
Your smartphone picks up the new email at [email protected]
And goes PING. You could even be cleverer and record a phrase "Mail from Mike" and use that as your notification ringtone.

Well whadya know. My mobile provide over here does provide the service. I would never have found that out in a million years

Thanks Roger,

cheers

Andy

I haven't read all the responses but heres what I think you need to know.

On your android phone you have a gmail account, which will receive gmail. You can set it up to receive other emails from other accounts but thats not what I do. You will also have a pre-installed app called email. You set this one up with your other account and it will make a tone when it gets mail the same as gmail does. I have about 4 diff tones on my phone so I can tell weather its a chat, gmail, email or text. Howevernot all Android phones are the same in this respect, for instance my Sony Ericsson can do multi tones but some of the old HTC desires can't do it.

Chems":89q5r4ca said:
I haven't read all the responses but heres what I think you need to know.

On your android phone you have a gmail account, which will receive gmail. You can set it up to receive other emails from other accounts but thats not what I do. You will also have a pre-installed app called email. You set this one up with your other account and it will make a tone when it gets mail the same as gmail does. I have about 4 diff tones on my phone so I can tell weather its a chat, gmail, email or text. Howevernot all Android phones are the same in this respect, for instance my Sony Ericsson can do multi tones but some of the old HTC desires can't do it.

Thanks, Chems, but I am looking to define the tone down to an email from one particular person. The set-up I've done now does this.

Roger,
What you need to do is set up your email account on your Computer and your smartphone to receive via IMAP, rather than e.g. POP3. This will then 'push' your email to both computer and smartphone - SIMPLES!!

BIG NOTE THOUGH - Before you change anything, I would back up your smartphone stuff and make a WRITTEN, (ie with a pen and a piece of good ole paper!!!) note of all the email settings. If you don't, Mr Sod will ensure you forget something later and spend the next zillion hours/days/weeks/months re-setting everything and cursing wise-buttocks and their 'Simples' comments - Honest, I know from experince.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on, (though this smugly won't be around for a week, as he's off to Les Gets for a spot of the ole powder snow)

Cheers

Greg

Greg

That's not the issue. I do that anyway. My requirement was for a specific ringtone when I get an email from a specific person. No-one else.

Nor am I interested in having different ringtones for generic emails, or chat or SMS's. (although I recognise that Waka likes them !)

Back