• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale elu router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ELU lasted me many years, it was cracking stuff considering they where owned by black and burnout.

Don't knock Black and Wrecker! My circa 1975 hammer drill is still working! 😀
And mine (1979) too. B&D Professional with a slider button on the side to select high or low speed. My first tool when I bought my first house and it has done a huge amount of work. Much more powerful than the motor rating would suggest.

Certainly, but existing Elu designs were rebranded DeWalt.
There must have been a transition period before rebranding as I I have an Elu biscuit-jointer from the period when it was owned by Black and Decker And this is definitely in the Elu livery. Perhaps the same for their routers, for a time, before they moved production facilities ?
There used to be a Black and Decker shop in Streatham high-street, in the early seventies. I bought my first ( reconditioned ) router there. A nice solid piece of kit. until I sold it on, and got a Hitachi plunge router.

There must have been a transition period before rebranding as I I have an Elu biscuit-jointer from the period when it was owned by Black and Decker And this is definitely in the Elu livery.
I don't have the insider knowledge to prove this, but I think there were a few years of cooperation between Elu and B&D before Elu sold out.
Elu machines such as their routers, their unusual biscuit jointer / grooving tool and their circ saws had a clear design DNA, but Elu had a number of other tools that were clearly B&D / DeWalt tools badged and in Elu colours. The radial arm saw range fell in this group, I own an Elu recip saw that was a B&D designed machine, there was a second biscuit jointer taken from the B&D range, a belt sander, etc.
I suspect that this period of cooperation may have made B&D the obvious buyer when Elu decided to sell.
It may seem strange given the contempt that most of us have for the modern Black & Decker brand but B&D Professional range from back in the 70's and 80's were very well made tools. Smooth and long lasting, not just trade but proper industrial grade tools. Very different from their DIY models.

Back