Elu Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up an Elu 177E recently and it came with the usual collection of bits and bobs, but unfortunately no manual.

Elu-177E-01.jpg

I'm pretty sure these accessories were original to this Elu machine and included with the router when it was new, but I've checked against the equivalent current DeWalt router and they're no longer included. Here they are in close up,

Elu-177E-02.jpg

Elu-177E-03.jpg

Elu-177E-04.jpg

Elu-177E-05.jpg

Maybe they're some kind of guide bush adapter, or some kind of centering device? Does anyone have a scan of a Elu 177E manual, or know what these are and how they operate?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Elu-177E-01.jpg
    Elu-177E-01.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 413
  • Elu-177E-03.jpg
    Elu-177E-03.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Elu-177E-02.jpg
    Elu-177E-02.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 412
  • Elu-177E-03.jpg
    Elu-177E-03.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Elu-177E-04.jpg
    Elu-177E-04.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 412
  • Elu-177E-05.jpg
    Elu-177E-05.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 413
I used to have an elu 177 and remember it came with a plastic centering tool. It had a 1/2" shank and a conical end, about 35mm dia.

The centering would be fitted in the collet, fit the guide bush holder leaving screws loose. Plunge router so tool centred the guide bush hold and tighten.

Thanks Robin, I'm familiar with those conical centering devices but there wasn't one in this package, and I'm not sure how it would work with these parts which protrude up towards the collet rather than sit proud of the base plate like a normal guide bush?

It's difficult to tell from your pictures but that guide bush looks like a standard 30mm bush. I still have a couple of MOF 177E routers and both of them have that type of set up on them. It definately came with the router when it was new....
The later versions & the Dewalt version changed over to this type of guide bush https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Dewalt-Guide-Bus ... 40123.aspx which made it a bit easier to change guide bush sizes depending on what you wanted to rout.

I think I may still have a User/Owner instruction manual for that router somewhere........It may take a bit of finding though...!!!!

Mine also came with the conical centering device that Robin mentioned,.....I never worked out what the small threaded shaft was for...?

custard":10cqbztj said:
Thanks Robin, I'm familiar with those conical centering devices but there wasn't one in this package, and I'm not sure how it would work with these parts which protrude up towards the collet rather than sit proud of the base plate like a normal guide bush?

Is what youve got a 30mm guide bush? -ie is the short black tube 30mm OD?

It allows adjustment so you can use on different thickness templates.

I dont know what the black threaded end part is, thats why I wondered if it was part of a centering aid

Thanks for that iNewbie, at least that clarifies they're definitely related to that router.

I've got the original Elu manual, but haven't had a chance to check what that threaded end thingy is. There was one with one (!) of my current flock of 117e's, but have never got round to finding a use for it.

But whatever, if that 177 is in good order, it's an absolutely fabulous machine; certainly wouldn't swap any of mine for a F***ool.
(ducks below the parapet to avoid all the offcuts, brickbats etc. thrown by Green fans)

First router I bought was an Elu MOF31. The end of the armature was threaded and there was a threaded collet attachment as well as cutters that screwed on to the end of the armature. Think that attachment was to allow the same cutters to be used on the later models which have the collets in the end of the armature.

The way my 177 centring device works is a cone you put in the chuck. You partly screw on the guide plate to the base leaving a touch of slack. Lower the cone onto the top of the 30mm sleeve and lock in place, then tighten the pan head screws to finishing tightening the base plate. No idea what the threaded shaft does but you can see the cone in the parts list.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit. Just re read this and what Robin said ha ha

Steve Maskery":3v3s09gi said:
Nice find, custard, I wish I still had mine :(

They are smashing machines, one of those "buy for life" bits of kit that inspire real confidence.

Unfortunately I only got it because a furniture maker I know has decided to throw in the towel and sell up. He's exceptionally talented, way out of my league and genuinely special, so it's a desperate shame that he couldn't make it work.

dickm":9dctqhzs said:
I've got the original Elu manual

If you could scan that I'd be very grateful, or photocopy it and send it then I'd be happy to cover the costs.

The original Swiss made Elu routers are very engineered.

The DeWalt yellow monsters.......not so much, less finesse in finishing.

Its a shame Elu was bought by Black and Decker and rebranded Dewalt.

Its also a shame that Stanley tools like tape measures and screwdrivers, those ones on deal prices in Screwfix, they arent Stanley quality sadly

custard":fpal80u0 said:
Unfortunately I only got it because a furniture maker I know has decided to throw in the towel and sell up. He's exceptionally talented, way out of my league and genuinely special, so it's a desperate shame that he couldn't make it work.

Hello,

That is a real shame, I think the lack of appreciation of makers by the general public will see more of this in the future. I folded a few years ago, but couldn't let my kit go. It would be the sensible thing to do, but I can't bring myself to do it. I'm trying to make stuff for myself in a shed, overcrowded with my professional kit. It is frustrating, I feel for your friend.

Mike.

custard":3du3r2xg said:
If you could scan that I'd be very grateful, or photocopy it and send it then I'd be happy to cover the costs.
Scanning some other stuff this morning, so dug out the original manual. Turns out I have two, one from the early 80s and one much newer. The early one has an exploded diagram slightly different from the parts list one linked above, and shows an item which looks to me like that short rod with a threaded end. BUT, can't find any explanation in the manual or in a couple of Elu routing pamphlets that I happen to have. So the mystery remains.

Sorry about the scan quality, I over compressed it from the 500kB original.

177 old.jpg

Attachments

• 177 old.jpg
    177 old.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 215
I've got the spigot / arbor supplied with my ELU 177, I always assumed it was an arbor for a slotting cutter. I've just measured it and the thread seems to M12 x1, the same as Trend currently list an arbor for an M12 groover. So it seems that that the actual grooving cutter is threaded to fit.

https://www.trenddirectuk.com/33-10x1-2 ... zIQAvD_BwE

I guess that's possible GK1, but I'm sceptical because by the time you've got enough of the shank secure in the collet it's barely long enough to clear the router base.

The only theory I could come up with was that it was a method of using milling cutters with your adjustable speed router? However, I know pretty much nothing about metal working, so I wouldn't stake any money on it!

Just in case it helps, here's a better image of the bit of the exploded diagram that shows what I think is that spigot, item 77. So then did the obvious thing and looked for the corresponding number somewhere in the manual. But, naturally, there isn't a key...............
177 spigot.jpg

So not a lot further forward. The position on the diagram does rather suggest it's supposed to go into the collet, but that's about all.

Attachments

• 177 spigot.jpg
    177 spigot.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 181
Back