Elu 177E - Equivalent ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DW625 is the Elu MOF177e in a later guise, as is the CMT 1850 and the Trend T10/T11 (all made by DW). I think the quality has slipped a bit, but it hasn't stopped me from having a DW625

Scrit

Thanks Scrit. The Elu I have has a made in Switzerland label and the quality is superb.I'm pretty sure it's over twenty years old and has served me very well.

Weren't they made by Scintilla (as made famous by Hitchiker's Guide :lol: )? The later Elus (Typ 4s on the rating plate) were also made in Italy and since DW took over they've all been Italian, at least in the EU.

Scrit

I'd go for the Orange One (CMT) generally cheaper than dw I think - and having got two as replacements for my 177e I can't actually tell the difference.

'orrible nasty colour though.

Chris.

I think the Trend T11 is worth looking at if you do any router table work. Only £220 from dm-tools- made by Dewalt in the same factory as the Dewalt 625 (and I guess CMT one too) - but has fine height adjustment from above the table bult in. Plus (I've always found) excellent support from Trend.
I've just bought one to replace my burnt out Elu 177 as discussed in another thread and I don't think you'll be too disappointed. Is you 177 un-repairable?
Cheers
Gidon

Downside is the fixed speed - but if you don't do a lot of big vcutter stuff it doesn't matter

Scrit

Yes Scrit, I wondered if the Swiss label was a front.
apparently a lot of watches were made in Italy and shipped across and stamped Made in Switzerland.
Oddly, my bandsaw (a Felder) is not up to the quality of my other machines and "I believe" it was made somewhere other than Austria especially as the instruction manual starts in Italian,humph!

Yes Gidon I think it's beyond repair, the clunking clacking noises and sparks are starting to annoy me.

DomValente":198alvne said:
Oddly, my bandsaw (a Felder) is not up to the quality of my other machines and "I believe" it was made somewhere other than Austria especially as the instruction manual starts in Italian,humph!

Yes Gidon I think it's beyond repair, the clunking clacking noises and sparks are starting to annoy me.
Rumour has it that Felder buy-in from Meber, who are Italian. But then they also sell/sold Multico chisel mortisers under their own name elsewhere in the EU (but not here) and a lot of their safety equipment, fences, guards, etc is made by someone else

Scrit

I have a 20 year old Elu, a DW and a T11, all about the same in appearance.

The Elu is the best, by several measures. I know that that is not helpful!

Neither the DW nor the Trend (yes, made in the same factory) is properly concentric (cutter to baseplate), and the Elu is also the smoothest in both motor and column adjustment.

The overhead adjustment on the T11 is good. The dust extraction on all threee leaves a lot to be desired, as does the cutter change.

Elu RIP.

DomValente":2q4d4sa7 said:

The Felder bandsaws are definitely not made in Austria. As far as I know, Felder buys them from an Italian company, probably ACM.
To my knowledge, many bandsaws (such as compressors) are produced in Italy today. Hema is one of the rare exceptions that offers several German made bandsaws.

DomValente":2q4d4sa7 said:
Yes, the fence on the bandsaw is atrocious(sorry, was) I chucked it.

Which fence are you referring to?
Miter fence or parallel/ripping fence?

Regards,

Christian

Back