Elm Wardrobe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a piece that I made for a client from very old elm that I found in a barn down here in sw France. I managed to get the wood for next to nothing but found it a pain to work as it laminates and I had a lot of waste.... shame, but glad that its finished and onto the next project... Think I'll use oak!!

elm.jpg

Btw - how much does elm cost in the UK?

Russ

glad your customer like the build :lol:

But i am afraid it does not float my boat :cry:

Maybe if the left and right sides matched it would be better

Nice project and you saved some unloved timber

Well done with the project

and welcome to the forum

Thanks
for showing us :wink: :wink:

you see pieces like that in catalogs at stupid amounts of money!

btw Dan like your sign! but still not as good as the one outside of :norm:

John

I think the the timber looks well being non symmetrical, especially as its such a contemporary design. Well done :D I just made a wardrobe for the house out of English Oak, didn't have any the the problems you mentioned.

Hi, Russ

I like that a lot, I have been trying to come up with some idears for a storage unit for my lounge and that has helped a lot.
Pete

I like it too but think that the bevels between the boards, if there are any, could be deeper to get more shadow at the board joints.

Hmm, No sorry Russ it doesn't do anything for me either I am afraid. Maybe if if had been broken up with a moulding or something.

Racers":2ia58u2t said:
Hi, Russ

I like that a lot, I have been trying to come up with some idears for a storage unit for my lounge and that has helped a lot.
Pete

It is hard to find ideas and I'm always looking around for inspiration either on the web, magazines or feedback from clients.... Using design software like C4D helps to get the proportions right but at the end of the day its what you do with your hands...... Good luck with the storage unit and thanks for the positive feedback.

Russ

I have say I like the plane, monolith look but I would have really loved it if the doors had been book matched rather than radically different...

Having said that - bloody good job, lovely to see :)

Miles

I like it and also like the fact that it is not bookmatched it shows the grain off nicely and shows its not a bit of souless veneered MDF furniture.

jon

It's a nice use of the grain and I like how you've 'defined' each door from the other one, instead of trying to keep it running continuously across the unit's width.

Price-wise in the UK, elm is around £34/ft³ at 1", £42/ft³ at 2" and £39/ft³ at 3" thick. It's not too far off the prices we would pay for English Oak.

JonnyD":29f1hdk1 said:
I like it and also like the fact that it is not bookmatched it shows the grain off nicely and shows its not a bit of souless veneered MDF furniture.

jon

If furniture is veneered the appearance is not altered by the core material,
I wonder what Chippendale would have made of someone calling his veneer work souless because he bookmatched and ran his grains through.

The wardrobe looks well made but portrays a slapped together image, unfortunately I am not a fan of it. Sorry Ross

Doctor":2gq8ja6r said:
JonnyD":2gq8ja6r said:

jon

If furniture is veneered the appearance is not altered by the core material,
I wonder what Chippendale would have made of someone calling his veneer work souless because he bookmatched and ran his grains through.

The wardrobe looks well made but portrays a slapped together image, unfortunately I am not a fan of it. Sorry Ross

Hi Bob I actually use veneer quite a bit in my workshop so i have nothing against the material and use bookmatching or other veneer patterns in my work quite a bit. What I was trying to get at was that i prefer the look of the wardrobe as it is rather than having a sheet of pre veneered mdf cut in half and used as doors. No offence to chippendale or other fine exponents of veneered furniture was intended.

Jon

Back