The phone is ringing…

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanf

Established Member
Reaction score
… it's Norte-Dame and they've finally found and felled the last of the 60 perfect oaks needed to rebuild the iconic spire. They've heard you're the best person for the job. They want you on a plane to Paris immediately and will cover all costs for the whole project. Will you accept the challenge of taking these mighty green oaks and making a thing of beauty, perfectly recreating history? Bear in mind Macron has declared the complete, whole restoration of the Cathedral must be finished before the Paris Olympic Games in 2024!

(Question inspired by finally getting round to watching the Lucy Worsley update on the rebuild, I've no idea what the current project status is)

Sean

Impossible. The green oak won't even be properly seasoned - if it's being air-dried, as it should be, for longevity

I'd wave the white flag.

They'll know what it means.

Impossible. The green oak won't even be properly seasoned - if it's being air-dried, as it should be, for longevity
The 2024 deadline in my original post is 100% real and dictated by the French Government. Will be really interesting to see if they hit it, a massive undertaking even without crippling time constraints

Sean

The guys putting the wood up there centuries ago would've appreciated the wood having a bit of moisture in it while they were working it by hand.

I doubt they were gluing fingerjoint boards together and trying to screw them to something along their widths on both sides.

Interestingly the Americans costructed their heavy frigates from green oak during the war with the British. They had a reputation for being unsinkable. They did a reconstriction on some history programme building a section of hull and then firing cannon balls at it. The balls bounced off the green oak, merely leaving a dent, the seasoned oak shattered and the ball went straight through, showering splinters everywhere.

not really interested in anything the French do....
if u want a spire with a twist...pun intended..u only have to go to Chesterfield, Derbyshire.....hahaha......
Unknown-2.jpeg

Back