Elm Sideboard Finally Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I've been posting pictures of this for some considerable time, but it's finally had the finish applied (Osmo Poly X in Satin) and now in place at home. The rad will be moved and hopefully a Plasma fitted above. The colour seems to be lightening rather than the opposite and is a pinky/mushroom, not at all what I expected. The single cupboard has 2 adjustable shelves and the double one is a fixed type. Happy to answer any questions, and now under pressure from SWMBO to source some more for a Dining Table to match, no rest for the wicked......

2i07wop.jpg

2psh7ro.jpg

byja.jpg

fc47dg.jpg

Bloonose,

A beautiful job, well executed. Yes it does look lighter than the last time I saw it.

How many coats of Osmo did you apply and what did you think of it ?

Paul

oh wow, very nicely done. I'm impressed! =D>

Bloonose, lovely piece of furniture, have you had any stability issues with the Elm.

That is a lovely piece of furniture. The workmanship shines through and the figure in the top is just gorgeous. Very well done!

If I may be permitted one criticism, it is that I think you would have done better to use brass butt hinges.

Q&A, but 1st thank you for taking the time to look and comment :D

The Osmo, is wonderful stuff, so easy to apply, leaves a lovely lustre and so economical. I've also used a furniture polish called Wood Silk, which is the yellow one with the wee beehive on top, which removes any traces of smear.

The Top/Sides have shrunk a little since arriving from the workshop which has made the drawers stick out about a mil. I would have to take the back off and move the runners to correct this but will wait for a few months to see what else gives!
One of the Doors has warped at one corner,Elm!!!!!, and even after soaking it and clamping it ( in purgatory) till dry has slowly gone back to where it was.

Its not possible to use butt hinges with this design, two doors are inset and one overlay plus no handles, no view of hinges etc. Don't like brass either, always use Chrome if I can.

Thanks again for the kind words and here's another pic

14n1n4y.jpg

Wow

Very very nice Bloonose :D
I love the grain etc you have really brought it out, i think it adds so much more charatuer to wood.
Hope one day to be able to produce something half as good as that.

Martin

I love the finish, even close up it looks great. That Osmo stuff is the mutts.

Fantastic job...elm looks great \:D/ but would agree with Chris, brass butt hinges (however you build them into the design) are essential in a job of this quality...hinges as shown in the pics aren't suitable IMO - Rob

Us lutheirs keep our workshops heated and humidified. if you are making furniture out of solid wood for the home, you need to do the same. The wood is shrinking because it has too much moisture in it...

Back