Elm Chest...done and dusted, final pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
It's all been finished and photographed, five of which are shown below. The whole thing has been a while in the making and started from this:

ps.jpg

and 6 months down the line has finished up as this:

p1-4.jpg

p2-3.jpg

p3-1.jpg

p4-1.jpg

All dark wood detailing in ebony
Finish is 2 coats of PolyX-Oil with some Alna teak wax over the top applied with a Webrax pad which has come up as a satin finish on the burr but a very slight sheen on the rest of the elm, which I like.

Hope you like, and as always, constructive criticism gratefully received as I have a small amount of the burr left and will be starting another cabinet (glass fronted, with a couple of small drawers) to display SWIMBO's fossil collection.

The gory details of its full construction and all the other pics will be published in a mag (no names, no pack drill :D ) in the not too distant future - Rob

Rob,
That is fabulous - I really like it very much indeed. Congrats on getting the dovetails out of the burr! (how many pins did you break? :wink: )

What are the drawer pulls made from?

Rob, COO. :shock: I've got personal choice reservations here and there but the care and attention you've lavished upon this stands out a mile. Bravo! =D> =D> =D>

Cheers, Alf

Looks fantastic, i love wood with a bit of Character, I think its got really nice proportions and the detailing is excellant. How many man hours do you reckon it took??
Owen

Rob,
I think it looks gorgeous and would be happy to have it in my home. I'm struggling a bit with the scale though. How tall is it?

Andy

Andy - you can gauge the scale by this pic of the chest in its final setting - it's not very big at all and before anyone says anything about the pink woodchip wallpaper, I've been tasked :roll: by SWIMBO to redecorate the lounge when she's away in sunnier and windier climes in October :lol: - Rob

p.jpg

Seeing as i'm very much in a Krenov mode these days, I have to say well done, love all the small touches, and the burr elm looks great, love the character! So many great projects on the forum these days!

Rob, Thanks for the in situ photo. I can see why the earlier photos were done on that sheet.

IME woodchip is normally put up to hide imperfections in the plaster work so good luck when you get to strip it.

Andy

Fabulous, Rob =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

There are not many cabinets about which one can say the back looks as good as the front :D And I love the detailing on those tenons in the base. Having seen this cabinet in the flesh a couple of times during its construction, Rob, I've found your thread particularly interesting and quite inspirational.

Roll on the next one :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

This is yet another stunning piece of work to be found on this forum.Well done. :D
All this talent and skill to be found on here for our pleasure.Fantastic.
Paul.J.

Excellent work, i especially like the burr and the detailing, oh! and the fact you have put so much time into the back :D

=D> Stunning, I love it! Belongs in Tony's 'Interesting pieces of furniture' thread

Back