Electrical Fixed Wire Inspection - advice please


Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Established Member
3 Jan 2018
Reaction score
Hi All
I have just received notice from my landlord that my unit is due for a 5 year electrical fixed wire inspection (I think I have been in the unit 3 - 4 years), and apparently under the terms of the lease I am responsible for footing the bill. They are offering to do it for £297 plus vat, or I can find my own contractor.
This is the first time I have heard of this and I'm a bit peeved at having this expense out of the blue and in the current climate.
It seems a lot of money for a small unit (30m2) with just a few power points and lighting - especially as all the wiring runs along the walls in plain site.
Can anybody please advise whether this is correct, and if so whether the sum quoted is about right?
thanks, Andrew
Inspections are mandatory every 5 years but as a residential landlord I pay for these. I can only assume that your landlord saw this coming and put something in your rental agreement to make it your responsibility. There are search engines to find contractors for residential EICR inspections but not seen one for industrial units. I’d look for smaller electricians who should be cheaper and less over heads.

As an electrician who has performed EICR's, the cost seems a little bit high to me. My advice would be to search for a local contractor via the NICEIC website. There you will be able to see the contractor details and contact them directly. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to do the inspection and run some tests. You should receive the certificate within 48 hours.
I don't see how the landlord can make you pay. It is up to the landlord to arrange and pay and without an up to date certificate they can't let the building. Give your local council a ring and inform them of what your landlord is trying to do. The regulations state that the LANDLORD has to have the testing done and provide you with a copy of the test certificate not the other way round, the council could also ask for a copy from the landlord but if you have paid for it then the landlord won't have the certificate and couldn't give it to the council.....
Commercial or domestic let's both need eicr's.
Last edited:
If it's written in the lease and you signed it, then you have a contractual obligation. If you are in breach of contract, the landlord has a claim against you.

The landlord will indeed have a duty to ensure regular inspections, that's his obligation under law.
Your obligation is a commercial / contractual one depending on what you signed.

Leaving you to choose the contractor and schedule their visit at a convenient time and for you to give them access sounds perfectly reasonable. It's easier for you to manage their visit. You see the costs so you can't complain about being ripped off, and the landlord isn't piggy in the middle if your "stuff" needs to be moved and processes interrupted so that the contractor can get access to make the tests. This will involve disconnecting any of your hard wired machinery etc, so another reason why it's easier if the relationship is directly between you and the contractor.

Assuming this is in your contract, it sounds like you're just annoyed that you overlooked it and there's an unplanned cost coming up. Sorry !
If it isn't in your lease, politely tell him to sling his hook...

The cost isn't stupid. Reasonably skilled self employed tradesman, couple of hours on site, another hour at home doing the paperwork, travel cost, tools test gear and overheads, waiting time while you clear access to stuff, etc, etc. Contractor doesn't know what they will be faced with when they walk in your door. You might get it a bit cheaper but surely not half of the quoted price.