Electric Motors in the Home Workshop parts 1&2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony,

My immediate thought is where are any other wires that I would expect to be coming out of the motor.

You need a minimum of two. The terminal block would normally fixed to the motor, have two wires going from it inside the motor and then the incoming blue and brown connected to those. Finally the earth going to the body of the motor not the connector cover.

That motor is an example of a non reversible chaiwanese import with all the wiring inside the motor body.

First job will be to find at least one more wire lurking inside.

Bob

Bob,
i don't think there is another wire from the motor, i'll have a look later, but i always remember it as being just the one. As i understand it the yellow wire is earth so to my thinking wouldn't it be sufficient to attach it to the case of the terminal block (thanks for the proper jargon)?

Tony

Hi Tony,

If the yellow is the earth (maybe it has a green stripe?) then I don't see how the power from the blue & brown get to the motor?

There appear to be no connections to the two left hand terminal screws?

I am assuming the black cable coming out the main body of the bandsaw is the switched supply to the motor.

Are we just confusing one another?

Bob

Bob

The black cable coming from the bandsaw to the terminal block then attaches to a 3-pin plug.

That's a good point, how does power get to the motor. Perhaps that isn't an earth wire and should connect to one of the terminals on the left hand side..but which one..does it matter?

Maybe i've missed something, i'll have another look at it this evening to see if there any other wires i've missed.

Perhaps someone out there with a similar motor could have a check on the wiring of theirs?

Tony

Tony,

Please don't just connect a wire to the mains without understanding what it is for. That is asking for trouble. :shock:

Search first for more wires coming out from inside the motor. There is quite a big hole and one could have got tucked inside.

Bob

Bob, Tony, might I suggest that the capacitor housing is removed and a check on associated wiring made, it may also give a better view of any internal loose connections.

Bob,

fear not, i'm not about to do that. I'm well aware of the dangers of doing that. That last post was just thinking out loud.

Chas,

not sure what you mean by the capacitor housing... the cylindrical stuck on the end perhaps?

Tony

Tony M":f6ctpltw said:
....Chas,

not sure what you mean by the capacitor housing... the cylindrical stuck on the end perhaps?

Tony

The domed cover, abut 5" long immediately above the connector block position.

Possibly held on by just two small screws by the look of it.

Tony M":3tyjxos0 said:
Bob,

fear not, i'm not about to do that. I'm well aware of the dangers of doing that. That last post was just thinking out loud.

Chas,

Tony

You have not read and followed my part one guide have you!!

The capacitor housing is discussed there.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchi ... aft0.1.pdf

Bob

The domed cover, abut 5" long immediately above the connector block position.

Possibly held on by just two small screws by the look of it.

Thought so.

You have not read and followed my part one guide have you!!

The capacitor housing is discussed there.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchi ... aft0.1.pdf

Bob

I'm having trouble opening that document. I suspect its a temporary issue with my computer rather than the document but once opened i intend to rectify my ignorance of motor nomenclature.

Thank you both for your input so far.

Tony

You deserve a kinght-hood for your effort 9fingers - thank you very much! 8)

this does not read as well as it should -

3. Induction motors that run on AC only and may be run single phase or three phase power source that are rated between 250 Watts and several thousand Watts or kW for short.

maybe

3. Induction motors that run on AC only. Single phase design or three phase supply design and rated between 250 Watts and several thousand Watts (or kW for short).

Thought there was something else too but can't find it now :)

Many Thanks Bob
This is fantastic. The work you must have put into this gets you a very big gold star in my opinion.
I might now be able to understand these things a lot more.
Well done

John

RobertMP":iw3dm6lo said:
this does not read as well as it should -

3. Induction motors that run on AC only and may be run single phase or three phase power source that are rated between 250 Watts and several thousand Watts or kW for short.

maybe

3. Induction motors that run on AC only. Single phase design or three phase supply design and rated between 250 Watts and several thousand Watts (or kW for short).

Thought there was something else too but can't find it now :)

Ok Thanks for that Robert, I'll make sure that is changed next time round.

Following on from yesterday, i had another look at my bandsaw motor last night and Bob was right, there was another wire lurking behind the metal case, as you can see...
bild0048.th.jpg
[/url][/img].
So is it safe to assume that the two wires connect to the unused terminals in no particular arrangement - seeing as both wires are yellow and with no distinguishing marks- and the machine is then ready to go.

Tony

Tony M":1v954noo said:
Following on from yesterday, i had another look at my bandsaw motor last night and Bob was right, there was another wire lurking behind the metal case, as you can see...
bild0048.th.jpg
[/url][/img].
So is it safe to assume that the two wires connect to the unused terminals in no particular arrangement - seeing as both wires are yellow and with no distinguishing marks- and the machine is then ready to go.

Tony

Good! Connecting either wire to the blue and brown should get everything spinning again.

Bob

Had to smile when I sped read it. This phrase tickled me..

Motors are machines in their own right converting electrical energy into mechanical energy and like virtually all machines are not 100% efficient.

Could I please have the one that is 100% efficient :wink:

One thought, Bob. Would it be possible to put a date/time stamp on it so that we know we're looking at the latest version? What do you think?

Once I have more than one issue 'published' I'll add a date /issue number.
The main work is still to be done. What I've done so far is background!!

Bob

Back