Electra Beckum HC260 Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnLoft

Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice regarding a problem with my hc260 I've recently rescued from a skip.

I've recently replaced cog number 1 with a metabo like for like replacement. Upon running the machine though the belt from the blade that spins pulley 2 is making a strange noise and slipping off.

It seems that the blade is spinning the belt too fast causing it to slip off but I can't be sure if this is what's happening as I have no idea of how fast the belt usually spins.

Does anyone have a hc260 and has had this problem before?

1000044712.jpg

Attachments

• 1000044704.jpg
    1000044704.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I had a problem with my machine where the belt kept slipping off. It turned out that there was too much wobble on the large wheel you have marked as '2'. the newly attached cog might be high lighting the fact that the two larger plastic cogs/ wheels are a bit worn and need replaced.

Are all the cogs parallel and coplaner with each other?
Also the belt around 2, seems to be sitting very high in the pulley.

I had a problem with my machine where the belt kept slipping off. It turned out that there was too much wobble on the large wheel you have marked as '2'. the newly attached cog might be high lighting the fact that the two larger plastic cogs/ wheels are a bit worn and need replaced.

There is a slight wobble on the wheel, I'm not sure if it's enough to cause the belt to slip though. The two large cogs look good still and are attached to the chain and not the belt so not sure that's connected.

The noise it makes before it slips surely has something to do with it but I can't for the life of me pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Agh, didn't realise it was a flat belt. How are the bearings on each pullets? Any excess play could be causing a wobble and throwing the belt.
Still think that driving and driven pulley may not be co planer to each other though.

Agh, didn't realise it was a flat belt. How are the bearings on each pullets? Any excess play could be causing a wobble and throwing the belt.
Still think that driving and driven pulley may not be co planer to each other though.
I'll check bearings tomorrow, hopefully it's just that as would be an easy fix. Cheers for input mate

This part of the mechanism is very basic in design - as I remember it - nothing as sophisticated as bearings but plastic wheels and cogs slipped over spindles and held in place with circlips. So any wear and tear will be in the plastic components. So new plastic bits , rather than bearings.

One thing to try, is to remove the belt, and see if the wheel marked 2 revolves effortlessly with just the use of a finger, in moving the chain and rollers. If there is any resistance then this could be causing a problem.

As it was a few years back now, I'm trying to remember exactly how I cured the problem. The wheel and possibly the belt were definitely replaced. As Murphy's law dictates, it had broken down in the middle of a job, though I was able to run it for a while by packing out with a washer behind the circlip which limited the sideways play.

This part of the mechanism is very basic in design - as I remember it - nothing as sophisticated as bearings but plastic wheels and cogs slipped over spindles and held in place with circlips. So any wear and tear will be in the plastic components. So new plastic bits , rather than bearings.

One thing to try, is to remove the belt, and see if the wheel marked 2 revolves effortlessly with just the use of a finger, in moving the chain and rollers. If there is any resistance then this could be causing a problem.

As it was a few years back now, I'm trying to remember exactly how I cured the problem. The wheel and possibly the belt were definitely replaced. As Murphy's law dictates, it had broken down in the middle of a job, though I was able to run it for a while by packing out with a washer behind the circlip which limited the sideways play.
Interesting.

I haven't checked yet but i think you are right, the new cog labelled "1" in the picture had no bearings and was simply plastic over the bolt.

Now I come to think of it, the belt was on before I had replaced cog 1, and had not slipped when I had it running. Only slipped upon introducing the new cog. If this has introduced some friction into the system, I wonder if that's what's causing it?

Photo below is when belt wasn't slipping

Attachments

• 20240316_142823.jpg
    20240316_142823.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
It’s some years since I owned one of these. If my memory serves me correctly the motor is on the other side with the principal drive to the cutter block? This side providing the various speed reductions for the feeds from the other end of the cutter block?

If this is the case, I would check that everything turns relatively freely with the belt off and undertake some general lubrication. My reasoning……the pulley ratio for the belt is quite large and if the black pulley can’t come up to speed quickly enough the belt will be made to stretch and then come off of the black pulley.

A new , and thus ‘stronger’ belt may also help.

I think the noise you are getting sounds like the sort of chatter you can get between a worn wheel and shaft. At a certain speed it becomes much worse, throwing off the belt. Not familiar with the machine but could you perhaps bore out the holes and fit oilite bushes?

All sorted! I took the belt off and spun large pulley 2 which created the strange noise, which turned out to be the inner of the pulley rubbing on the shaft. It was quite gunked up too so I give that a clean and sprayed with liquid PTFE and it spins with a lot less resistance now. All working fine.

Cheers all.

Attachments

• 1000044761.mp4
    33.8 MB
It’s some years since I owned one of these. If my memory serves me correctly the motor is on the other side with the principal drive to the cutter block? This side providing the various speed reductions for the feeds from the other end of the cutter block?

If this is the case, I would check that everything turns relatively freely with the belt off and undertake some general lubrication. My reasoning……the pulley ratio for the belt is quite large and if the black pulley can’t come up to speed quickly enough the belt will be made to stretch and then come off of the black pulley.

A new , and thus ‘stronger’ belt may also help.
Cheers, this is exactly what it was.

Back