Quantcast

Eight sizes of Phillips screw heads?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I've given up using anything remotely like a Phillips or a Pozidrive. Seems to me, especially with the latter, that there is a distinct lack of adherence to the spec. between screw makers and driver bits. The number of times, the bit cams out....so it's Torx for me every time now.

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My b.i.l. a (English born and trained) joiner now teacher in NZ told me they use virtually exclusively square drive. I knew there were loads of heads, but didn't realise there are quite so many. :D

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I've been using Wurth's AW Drive screws for a while now, it's a sort of mix of Torx and Hex which works really well.

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Reaction score
tool station did a range of paslode (I think) tori head screws a few years back. well priced and decent quality, but sadly they seem to be discontinued everywhere now.

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
No, I didn't either. I came across that page looking for information on something in particular and was surprised by the sheer number, that's why I thought it worth posting. :D

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
While talking about screws, it's worth me re-iterating that the Bullet screws from Travis Perkins are to be avoided at all costs if you use an impact driver. They snap very easily.

worn thumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I must have screwdriver bits to cover most of those in the wikipedia article since I bought a box of several dozen including security screw heads several years ago.I think I have used five of them and two were torx.I find it curious that every plain slot head bit in these kits is very thick in relation to it's width but I suppose that comes from making them from 1/4 inch hex.

It has been a minor annoyance for years when people ask me if I can lend them a Phillips screwdriver because they have a screw with a "star" shaped recess.It isn't so much that I dislike lending tools to people-although I don't appreciate it if they take ages to come back-its rather that true Phillips screws are fairly rare in the UK since woodscrews tend to be Pozidriv and the head geometry is different.What I hadn't realised is that JIS heads look similar and have very different geometry and this image shows just how different.

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Reaction score
FWIW a JIS driver works great on a phillips screw but a phillips driver is terrible on a JIS screw.