Eight sizes of Phillips screw heads?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've given up using anything remotely like a Phillips or a Pozidrive. Seems to me, especially with the latter, that there is a distinct lack of adherence to the spec. between screw makers and driver bits. The number of times, the bit cams out....so it's Torx for me every time now.

I've been using Wurth's AW Drive screws for a while now, it's a sort of mix of Torx and Hex which works really well.

tool station did a range of paslode (I think) tori head screws a few years back. well priced and decent quality, but sadly they seem to be discontinued everywhere now.

While talking about screws, it's worth me re-iterating that the Bullet screws from Travis Perkins are to be avoided at all costs if you use an impact driver. They snap very easily.

I think I must have screwdriver bits to cover most of those in the wikipedia article since I bought a box of several dozen including security screw heads several years ago.I think I have used five of them and two were torx.I find it curious that every plain slot head bit in these kits is very thick in relation to it's width but I suppose that comes from making them from 1/4 inch hex.

It has been a minor annoyance for years when people ask me if I can lend them a Phillips screwdriver because they have a screw with a "star" shaped recess.It isn't so much that I dislike lending tools to people-although I don't appreciate it if they take ages to come back-its rather that true Phillips screws are fairly rare in the UK since woodscrews tend to be Pozidriv and the head geometry is different.What I hadn't realised is that JIS heads look similar and have very different geometry and this image shows just how different.

jis-vs-philips.jpg

I had to buy a set of JIS screwdriver for working on cameras and lenses.

Pete

FWIW a JIS driver works great on a phillips screw but a phillips driver is terrible on a JIS screw.

Latest posts

Back