Egg cup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A really nice job Paul - you are to be congratulated as turning a 'real' item is always more difficult that otherwise.

If I were asked for some constructive comment (and I think you are asking otherwise disregard) then the following couple of points come to mind after looking at the photos:

1) I think you need some demarkation between the 'egg' and the 'cup' This could be as simple as a bead or change in diameter but it does not look quite right at the moment (this could also be used to disguise the joint).

2) Be very careful with your sanding. On the base you have turned some some lovely detail and then the 'crispness' that stands out on top quality work has, to some extent, been lost with the sanding. It is not something I am very good at myself but is a criticism I have often been on the other end of.

However, all in all, a nice job and some real lightness of touch, especially with the base that really enhances the piece.

Thanks Simon.
I see what you mean about the joint and the cup.I will try your idea next time. :wink:
This piece was given to my neighbour as it was his tree i got the timber from.
Paul.J.

SVB":3vscljp0 said:
1) I think you need some demarkation between the 'egg' and the 'cup' This could be as simple as a bead or change in diameter but it does not look quite right at the moment (this could also be used to disguise the joint).

See that's the very thing that appealed to me, the fact that the join in the first picture was nigh on invisible. I guess we all have different taste and ideas about design.

I like that....another one for me to aim at.

Pete

Looks very nice,Paul :D
And you appear to have mastered the art of posting pictures as well.

Just a couple of questions,if I may
1)How big is it ? (difficult to tell from the picture)
2)What finish did you use ?

Andrew (quietly impressed 8) )

Thanks Pete/Andrew.
Pete the join was better than that in the photo,but the wood is still moving causing the join to open just a fraction.
Andrew, the egg and cup is about 5" tall,the egg been about 3" and 2" diameter,finished with just bees wax melted on with a cloth.
This is the third egg i've now done,still practicing. :)
Now i've finally mastered the download of photos,i will try and take some better ones. :wink:
Paul.J.

Very nice piece of work - I'd go with the suggestions of others to 'mask' the join/break line at/with a rim/edge, but that's an addition. This stands alone quite well. A bit to 'straight' in the middle? But hey, I wish my third egg had been that good!
I started on eggs and have yet to get away from them! I was also astounded to discover just how many of my family are egg design experts!!
After my first few I decided to carry out some field research, so spent an instructive 10 minutes opening egg cartons in Sainsburys - useful! There is more 'real egg' variety than I'd imagined!

These cannot be original idea ideas!, but here for starters are a few egg laws my testers and experts derived for me .......
1 - if it'll stand up on either end then it's not an egg (easy on the end sanding please!)
2 - if there's any bit that ain't curved then it's not an egg
3 - if a 12/13/14/15 month old egg tester (extensive trials as you can see!) can get it far enough into her mouth to leave teeth marks then it's not an egg (too pointy probably)

Keep up the good work (of course I'm not envious of such a light touch!!)

Thanks Greybeard.
Here are my first 2 attempts.These were just practice pieces and have not been finished properly.Just experimenting. :wink:
Your points are noted,especially the shape,as you can see from my first attempts.
I can see how you can get addicted to making these eggs.It was always something i wondered "how do you do that",and when i found out couldn't wait to have a go at.
I enjoy trying to make the walls as thin as possible so it feels like an egg when picked up.Ready to crack :)
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back