Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Egg cup, which chisel four the scoop bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to have a 'crack' at turning an egg cup however I'm not sure what chisel to use for scooping out the end bit?

Blister

Established Member
Reaction score
As the egg holder part is no deep a bowl gouge will do fine :wink:

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read some more of my book and i think it suggests a spindle gouge?

Ah okay blister, I don't believe I have either so I'll leave that project for another day, which tool yl would be best suited? A spindle or bowl gouge?

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
Oooh okay, I might have one if those I'll check. I'm just practising at the mome nt so not expecting superb finished products :)

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
You'll get by with a round nose scraper for the basic shape, but a bowl or spindle gouge would be better for refining it.
I adjust my lathe speed to the slowest possible when hollowing. This forces much finer cuts - 'cos if I try to cut a lot the lathe will stop. Once my technique improves a bit more, I may be able to speed the lathe up, but I'm in no hurry usually.
I normally do the hollowing before trying to do the outside shape too. Less chance of destroying the piece, and if it goes pete tong - less hard work wasted.
Have a loof at the Axminster Perform range of tools. I have a few of these now after wasting money on a cheap and nasty "get you started" set. Not in the same league as Sorby or Crown etc. but as a beginner the difference between these and the carbon steel cheapos is like night and day.

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Taz, I'm currently watching a load of Sorby chisels on ebay but I'm sure they'll fly out of my price range. I'll check out the perform ones. I don't have a round nose scraper so this is fully on hold for now, I'm thinking of creating a thread with a picture of the chisels I have to see if anyone can help me label them, there is one in particular i've not spotted on any website yet. I'm sure it's because I don't know what I'm looking for though.