Egg cup, which chisel four the scoop bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to have a 'crack' at turning an egg cup however I'm not sure what chisel to use for scooping out the end bit?

I've read some more of my book and i think it suggests a spindle gouge?

Ah okay blister, I don't believe I have either so I'll leave that project for another day, which tool yl would be best suited? A spindle or bowl gouge?

Oooh okay, I might have one if those I'll check. I'm just practising at the mome nt so not expecting superb finished products :)

You'll get by with a round nose scraper for the basic shape, but a bowl or spindle gouge would be better for refining it.
I adjust my lathe speed to the slowest possible when hollowing. This forces much finer cuts - 'cos if I try to cut a lot the lathe will stop. Once my technique improves a bit more, I may be able to speed the lathe up, but I'm in no hurry usually.
I normally do the hollowing before trying to do the outside shape too. Less chance of destroying the piece, and if it goes pete tong - less hard work wasted.
Have a loof at the Axminster Perform range of tools. I have a few of these now after wasting money on a cheap and nasty "get you started" set. Not in the same league as Sorby or Crown etc. but as a beginner the difference between these and the carbon steel cheapos is like night and day.

Thanks for that Taz, I'm currently watching a load of Sorby chisels on ebay but I'm sure they'll fly out of my price range. I'll check out the perform ones. I don't have a round nose scraper so this is fully on hold for now, I'm thinking of creating a thread with a picture of the chisels I have to see if anyone can help me label them, there is one in particular i've not spotted on any website yet. I'm sure it's because I don't know what I'm looking for though.

Latest posts

Back