Ed's new tablesaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, she arrived on Tuesday but I've had a mad week at work handing over a project that just finished, so only just got it all assembled.

4413043607_dd5afef559.jpg

The saw is an Axminster AW10BSB2.

4413812392_e8f48048e3.jpg

Assembly is not a 5 minute job, so has taken a couple of evenings and then most of yesterday to get it done. I'm happy with the finished article, although I need some months of use to give a true assessment. Price wise I think its very competitive, when I offset the proceeds from the sale of my Kity 419 its cost me a fairly modest sum, I feel like I got quite an improvement in kit for the investment.

I had to modify my outfeed table to suit the new saw, which I got done this morning.

4413812970_6af25abcdc.jpg

Initial impressions;

1. Quality is quite good, but not outstanding. The surface grinding of the top is not as good as my Axminster Plus bandsaw and has a couple of pin holes in it, not that it affects performance. The castings dip slightly in the middles, but again I can't see that affecting performance.
2. I had to adjust the belt tension which is very fiddly, but not something you do very often.
3. You need a big space for this saw, which I have, but any narrower a workshop than mine and you would struggle to get round both sides of it.
4. It is heavy - but I am pleased to report has not yet come crashing through my floor into the garage below.
5. The adjustment on the sliding table is good, although it takes some time to get it right.
6. Works on a 13amp plug, but as Chems said on his, blows the fuse if I switch the extractor on first. In the fullness of time I'll add another 16amp socket.
7. The fence clamping mechanism seems very good and comes with the short fence that fixes on if you want it.

I'll post some further thoughts once I've used it a bit, but on the whole it seems good so far.

Ed

I like it clean - I can't think straight in messy and disorganised spaces.

Ed

RILEY":2e9xs2xm said:
Mr Ed":2e9xs2xm said:
I like it clean - I can't think straight in messy and disorganised spaces.

Ed
pipper me Ed, you'd go bonkers in my shed then... :)

There's two parts of me...the tidy one and the messy, absorbed one.

The tidy one lives somewhere in Ed's cupboard and the messy, absorbed one lives in my workshop.

I want to be like you Ed...can this be learned? I start to tidy...find some gizmo or other...think "wow..I could make this with that" and start making this with that and then it ends up more messy than when I started!

I am in awe of your tidiness and your saw...nice piece of kit mate!

Jim

Looks good Ed, far too big and heavy for my 'shop though.

Ed, as a suggestion, I'd put another top on your take-off table with a 50mm overhang all round (or on at least three sides) so that you can cramp stuff to it for machining (or assembly) more easily.

I like tidy too :wink: - Rob

woodbloke":1zbsaznb said:
Ed, as a suggestion, I'd put another top on your take-off table with a 50mm overhang all round (or on at least three sides) so that you can cramp stuff to it for machining (or assembly) more easily.

I only really use it for assembly, as machining is done on the bench. It may not be clear from the photos, but it does actually have an overhang of about 40mm already.

The space for assembly is invaluable, I'd quite like to make it bigger, maybe one day.

Ed

Very nice Ed, it fits in your space very well. I think you'll be happy with it.

Ed, what's the black carpet/matting on the floor, they look like they're nice big sheets, which would be better than the square tiles I have in front of the bench.

Cheers

Aled

Very nice, Ed. :)

Regarding the 16amp socket - would it not be easier to run an extension to/from the existing one? (I'm assuming it's by the planer?) It's got to be cheaper and easier than fitting a new socket. You can get 10m 16amp 230v leads from Toolstation for about £10 with a plug on each end. You could cut it to your desired length as well. :wink:

OPJ":2gbjbx6a said:
Very nice, Ed. :)

Regarding the 16amp socket - would it not be easier to run an extension to/from the existing one? (I'm assuming it's by the planer?) It's got to be cheaper and easier than fitting a new socket. You can get 10m 16amp 230v leads from Toolstation for about £10 with a plug on each end. You could cut it to your desired length as well. :wink:

Thats pretty much what I was going to do - I already have the bits to make the lead.

Ed

Aled Dafis":1tpkgmc4 said:
Ed, what's the black carpet/matting on the floor, they look like they're nice big sheets, which would be better than the square tiles I have in front of the bench.

Cheers

Aled

Its a material called Regupol, which is really intended for acoustic separation between reinforced concrete slabs and screed in high rise resi blocks. There were a few sheets going begging after a job at work which came into my possession. Its 5mm thick and made of recycled car tyres, so its a bit like the stuff on the floor in kids playgrounds.

Ideal for what I'm using it for, but would cost a lot as its really made for its acoustic properties.

Ed

Looks great in there, big jump up from the Kity, even bigger from my old Titan!

How did you find getting the tables aligned, I need to go back and re-align mine to get a good fit as they aren't quite butted tight on the last one.

I found I got no suck at all with the blade guard set up in that way, so I put the 100mm only for that and the LVHP on the guard. After initially getting a lot of dust I now get hardly any at all.

Chems":23cgau5f said:
Looks great in there, big jump up from the Kity, even bigger from my old Titan!

How did you find getting the tables aligned, I need to go back and re-align mine to get a good fit as they aren't quite butted tight on the last one.

I found I got no suck at all with the blade guard set up in that way, so I put the 100mm only for that and the LVHP on the guard. After initially getting a lot of dust I now get hardly any at all.

I've got the table alignment pretty good, but I expect things to settle and move a bit so I will go back and tweak it later if needed.

On the extraction with my Camvac 386 on the 100mm port its not generating much suck on the crown guard, although the main extraction seems fine. I will try what you have, which if I understand correctly is a shop vac on the crown guard and a main extractor on the 100mm.

Ed

Yes thats how I have mine, the zero clearance insert made quite a bit of difference too. I was a bit miffed at first when I turned it on and dust was coming out the angle rise and fall hole, but triple extractor and zero clearance insert seemed to have sorted it!

Ed - I use a shop vac on my DEFT's crown guard and the main extractor (DX5000) "down below".
The vac has one of those power on feeds so comes on automatically.

Rod

Harbo":9j04t1zd said:
Ed - I use a shop vac on my DEFT's crown guard and the main extractor (DX5000) "down below".

Rod

Yes thats what my Karcher shop vac has, so I think I'll set it up like that and give it a go, just need to mackle together a connection for the 2 hoses later....

Ed

Its a material called Regupol, which is really intended for acoustic separation between reinforced concrete slabs and screed in high rise resi blocks. There were a few sheets going begging after a job at work which came into my possession. Its 5mm thick and made of recycled car tyres, so its a bit like the stuff on the floor in kids playgrounds.

Ideal for what I'm using it for, but would cost a lot as its really made for its acoustic properties.

You may want to look at weights gym matting as an alternative - 15mm thick rubber, about £70 for a 6x3 sheet from a brief internet search. More than those soft tiles people use but much stronger.

Steve

Mr Ed":2rnogq9x said:
Harbo":2rnogq9x said:

Rod

Yes thats what my Karcher shop vac has, so I think I'll set it up like that and give it a go, just need to mackle together a connection for the 2 hoses later....

Ed

Just done that modification and it sucks much better on the crown guard now. Amazing what you can do with some plumbing fittings and gaffer tape!

Ed

Back