Edge Jointing Heresy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr T":20jhh8nf said:
Hi

What make and model of saw do you have Mr Naylor, I could do with one of those!

Chris

Its an SCM something or other

Plano.jpg

To prove my point on the jointing, here is a photo of the offending desk top after a quick sand and its first coat of oil.

I can't see the join - can you?

Harris1.jpg

Brad

I'm over your neck of the woods on Saturday (again :roll: ), so if you're in I will call round to have a look at the offending joints.

Perhaps some independent verification will convince the Doubting Thomas's amongst us.

Cheers

Karl

About 10 years ago I made myself a Maple dining table and glued it up straight off the saw as it was the most accuarte piece of machinery I had at the time. The Table is used everyday and shows no signs of the joints opening up.

If the edge is straight and the cut clean I can see no major problems with gluing up this way myself.

Jon

BradNaylor":24onsm2o said:
The edge I get off my table saw is every bit as good as I can get on my planer. Look closely at the edge produced by any planer and there are slight ripples caused by the blades, not to mention the possibility of snipe on even the best set up machine. Brad

Well you never mentioned in your first post that your overhander is rubbish!
I have no ripples from my planer and if set up correct, no snipe when overhanding.
I believe there is a guy called scrit in your area who can advise you on set up.

Those sleepers were overhanded, by two of us.

I have to agree with Brad here. My TS is a SIP fitted with Freud blades, my surface planer is a Wadkin with a triple cutter block and HSS knives, and to be honest I sometimes have to do a double take to tell the sawn face from the planed.
To be honest I'm rather surprised that more don't work as Brad states because I will hazard a guess that some will cut joints on machines and then pass on to glue up, I certainly do.

Roy.

BradNaylor":2dekpxvj said:
I've certainly never had one fail.

That sounds like tempting fate to me
00020077.gif

Seriously though, we used to do it all the time on pine. I must admit I would probably plane it for a "posh" job though.

As said, if it works for you......

Cheers,

Richard

BradNaylor":1c4zkn13 said:
Mr T":1c4zkn13 said:
Hi

What make and model of saw do you have Mr Naylor, I could do with one of those!

Chris

Its an SCM something or other

Plano.jpg

To prove my point on the jointing, here is a photo of the offending desk top after a quick sand and its first coat of oil.

I can't see the join - can you?

Harris1.jpg

I think it's the third noggin over from the 4th thrumpet :wink:

Am I right? :wink:

Latest posts

Back