Edge beeding.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am still working on my stairs.

For those who haven't read my other thread.

My banisters have plywood panels instead of balustrades. In the panels I have cut out a diamond shape. I have inserted a vertical center piece to add strength. To go around the edge of the diamond my wife has chosen 15mm doweling poll. I have ploughed out a 7mm deep by 8mm wide trench the whole length of the dowel.

My problem is what angle do I cut, bearing in mind that the pieces have to be put in.

This pic shows you what I'm talking about:-

Edging.jpg

This pic shows you what happened when I cut the edging at an angle that allows the second piece to slip into place:-

Joint-2.jpg

A little, or a lot of help is not only needed, but, really appreciated.

ATB Gary.

Hi Gary, yes I can see what you mean. You need to make the angle half of the angle you are beading. Measure the angle and half it and then cut to this angle. That should sort it out.

Thanks for your reply mailee.

I appreciate what you are saying, but if I do it that way, how do I put the edging in at the bottom, then slid it in at the top? Sorry I'II rephrase that.

To get the edging in place, as far as I can make out, is to put the top piece in first, then the bottom piece. To do this they need to pass each other at the middle join. Total angle is 120 Deg.

I really don't want to have to cut the pieces in half length ways if I can help it.

ATB Gary.

Gary,

I think what ever you do will have to be a compromise to get get it to fit. :(

The centre bar, how is that fitted, does it drop on fro the shown side? If you could lift it off then you have more room the juggle the edge trim into place, trapping it with the bar when its fitted.

Any chance you can start over on the beading? I think it would be a lot easier at his point to have the beading split down the center. You could use a couple of pieces of half round molding with a rebate cut to fit around the plywood. This would allow you to work on one side and then the other.

Your mitres could then be proper bisectors of the angle.

OK then, thats a bummer, but how about trying it with the lower bit first. :-k
Did you made the moulding or is it bought in?
If you made it, have you made all of it or just a sample?
An idea, that may work if your making your own and still have the blank stock. Machine the rebate but not the bead.
Cut the bit that goes in to the hole, but leave the surface of your moulding in place so it runs past the opening. Next cut a bit for the top run, you might be able to swing it in to place. :whistle:
If it goes in, mark the final trim length for the bottom piece and the corner intersection. Remove and cut and machine the bead on, stopped on the bottom bit. :-s

If that lot don't make sense, ask and I try not to make it any worse. [-( :wink:

Thank you Dave. ;)

I've been thinking about this a little and have a jig figured out to make cutting the mitres easy. If there are more than a couple of them to do, I think it would be worth a simple jig.

From I can see the easy way to get your angles is to put an off cut of moulding one one edge and draw line on the outside of it and then do the same on the other side.

Extened the lines, you should then have two lines that cross next to where you joint will be, all you need to do from there is get a bevel and line up the outside edge with the point of the joint, to where the lines cross.
This should give you your angles for a jig :)

I hope that is clear

Thanks everyone for your excellent ideas.

Whilst mowing the lawn I thought, "you D**k".

All I have to do is an internal skirting board butt joint. (You know, the one where you scribe around the skirting).

Put the top piece in first, but up a piece of scrap, draw round it to get the profile, and remove waste. Now, put in the bottom piece first, then put in the top piece, (top first), then swing it into position. Tra,la.

Jobs a gooden.

I'II let you know what happens. (he said hesitantly).

ATB Gary.

Could you not cut one bead in half, put the uncut bead in place then glue the to halves together bracing them off the walls if you can't get clamps in (could screw one then glue the othe half over the screws)

I think I totally misread this post

Is that a scarf joint in your Newel post

If so why not do the same to one of the beads, as in fit the bottom one, cut the top one so that you fit the corner then fit the last piece

If the triangle is open will it comply with building reg eg not allowing a 100mm sphere to pass through (Scottish regs - I think English regs are the same on this bit)

Latest posts

Back