Edge Banding Trimmers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
End trimmer is great, leaves a lovely clean end cut. The longitudinal cutter is rubbish, I use a special cmt cutter on a small trim router and it leaves a neat, tidy edge.

Using a chisel or sharp knife can work well but you have to be careful that it doesn't follow the grain and takes a gouge out, which looks really rubbish. I do a ton of edge banding, sometimes feels like the only wood working I do...

laminate or veneer for the edge trimmer? if veneer, then don't cut both sides at once unless the grain is very straight - you will have to cut with the grain and watch out if the length of edgbanding has a join in it as the grain will reverse.

Thanks WB, I knew about the grain problem but I thought the trimmer might have compensated. Oh well I'll just have to do it like I always do with a chisel. I thought I might have been able to off load the job to swimbo :lol:

promhandicam, it the veneers I'm putting on, but thanks for the heads-up about the joins, I'd forgotten about them.

I do lots of this at work and the best tool I've found for it is a dull (not blunt) plane iron, rest the back edge on your thumb and work with the grain, you can clear a 2.4m board in one pass without any effort.

I bought both of those a while back and they will work well but do need a few practise runs to see what works best on what. On laminate the edge trimmer works fine used as intended but, on the Beech edging I can only do one edge at a time, sometimes taking two passes.
I still have to run a block plane along the edge afterwards to get rid of the small lip that they leave but it's still way quicker than using a plane only.

Back