Eclipse 36 Modification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcott

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been studying the discussions on the modifying of the Eclipse 36 Honing Guide, and there are 2 matters I don’t understand.

Firstly, why can’t the blade projection be measured without the guide being modified? How does adding pieces of metal make any difference to the way the projection can be measured?

Secondly, in one of the pictures published, there does not appear to be any room left on top of the guide to grip the edges of a plane blade.

Can anyone please help me to understand?

Hi Starcott,

I don't really understand the first part of your question :? Whether the Eclipse is modified or not has no significant effect of measuring the blade projection.

With regard to your second question, when I modified my guide (if that is one of the guides you are referring to) I used fairly thick metal as I wasn't concerned with using it for plane blades (I use other guides for plane blades). Here's a picture of it

Eclipseguide1.jpg

When Rob (Woodbloke) modified his, he used thinner metal and is able to grip plane blades OK. Here's a picture of his

Eclipsehoningguide.jpg

Incidentally, I don't use my modified one much now, preferring instead to use the Trend guide for chisels. The Trend guide grips the chisels in the same way but has a wider roller, which I prefer

Trendguide1.jpg

Trendguide2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul

How does that Trend guide handle the Blue Spruce chisels with their scalloped sides? That's something I've been pondering with my eclipse. I have freehanded them so far as they are hollow ground, but when they need a regrind then I'm not sure the eclipse will handle the job...

TrimTheKing":2mi52kwj said:
How does that Trend guide handle the Blue Spruce chisels with their scalloped sides?

Hi Mark,

That's a wild assumption on your part that I can afford a set of Blue Spruce chisels :shock: :lol: My last set of chisels cost me £27 for five :shock:

I would think it would be OK - the guide registers off the flat face of the chisel but grips the two sides. I wouldn't think that the scallop makes any difference. I use mine exclusively for chisels. I find that the wide roller makes it dead easy to get a nice, straight edge every time. With the Eclipse, I found that if I didn't concentrate enough I would hone the edge at a skew sometimes because of the narrow roller - and at my age concentration is not a strong point :( :lol:

Paul (who wishes he could afford some Blue Spruce chisels)

Cheers Paul

I seem to recall someone mentioning that because of the low sides of the BS that the eclipse can't grab them.

Mine aren't seeing a whole lot of action at the moment. :( Shall I send you a couple to test out and you can tell me how the jig does...

I've just had another look at the Trend guide, Mark, and I'm sure they would fit OK. If we meet up at any of the shows again, I'll happily bring it with me and if you have one of your chisels you can try it in the guide to see if it fits.

Paul

Paul Chapman":1f1rul9q said:
Paul,
I thought you would have been bought some, along with the bandsaw, planer thinknesser and new camera after Rob had a word with your wife. :roll: :wink:

DaveL":3exmkq8i said:
Paul Chapman":3exmkq8i said:
Paul,
I thought you would have been bought some, along with the bandsaw, planer thinknesser and new camera after Rob had a word with your wife. :roll: :wink:

You obviously haven't met my wife :lol:

Latest posts

Back