ebonised bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Farrer

Established Member
Reaction score
Your comments will always be appreciated, however caustic!!!

Here's a bowl, it was ash under the paint, the spray mechanism bunged up again on my ebonising spray lacquer so resorted to the henry ford equivalent, Halfords matt black and despite what the pictures might have you believe, when putting gilt cream over the top I think its better because the paint film is finer so you get better black coverage without it filling in the finer detail of the grain. Think I'll try a pink next with a black cream if you can get it!!

Its about seven inches across and two high. Hadn't been on the booze when I took the photo, just couldn't get down to table height as I used to!

Ebonisedbowl.jpg

i like the colour if it is how i am seeing it- a rich chocolate brown?

any chance of a couple more pics

Hi Neil that looks very nice I do like it very much Libron were selling once colored paste wax polish in terracotta, green and blue which I used to use for the came effect as well as gold gilding cream but I'm not sure if they still do

I'll try more photos but it's a ***** nightmare to photograph, I got an impression of every defect in my ceiling reflected on the surface! Colour is black, the chocolate brown tint is the copper gilt cream.

Here's another photo, loads of reflections unfortunately but I'm not that proficient at photography to take them in the dark!

ebonisedbowl3.jpg

just couldn't get down to table height as I used to!

:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Too many pies again Neil, paunch getting in the way was it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks a nice bowl tho, even if it is leaning to one side :lol: :lol:

some cameras have a grid layout that appears on the lcd screen. helps get things level. (no david baillie here) hope that helps.

the button on my camera is the display button. (panasonic dmc fz 48)

bowl looks great! I love the colour.

Thanks all. Nev, it was sprayed with a couple of thin coats of Halfords Matt black primer, the gilt cream applied with my right index finger against the grain and sparingly and then a cloth with a very very smalll amount of blo ( I was told to use finishing oi but hadn't got any!) just to lubricate and allow the removal of the excess gilt cream taking care not to clean out the grain, allowed to dry off and then I put on a couple of coats of spray sanding sealer and then the melamine spray lacquer and subsequently the use of the burnishing cream. Stupid as it might sound someone showed me how to et the best out of burnishing cream at my woodturning club last Saturday and it made all the difference, I used to swamp the thing with the cream and rev it up in the belief that the more cream and contact the smoother it became. If there were any instructions on the tin I never read them! Now a relatively stingy application at around 500rpm means that I don't get the stuff all over the workshop walls, on my glasses and it now does what it says on the tin. The hint of keeping the tempreature build up down was good advice. Didn't appreciate that there could be an art to burnishing!

Now a relatively stingy application at around 500rpm means that I don't get the stuff all over the workshop walls, on my glasses and it now does what it says on the tin. The hint of keeping the tempreature build up down was good advice. Didn't appreciate that there could be an art to burnishing!

Hmmm, no wonder I never noticed any difference when burnishing!!!

Next time I'll have a go that way, cheers Neil

Beautiful job Neil, I'm absolutely blown away by the effect you have got with those raw materials.Fantastic!

I agree, that's a fantastic finish!. I really like how the grain is really evident & it looks the absolute bees knees!.

Putting black wax on that would only detract from such a fine, shiny finish.

definately one of the best finishes I've seen on a piece for a long time so don't bu@@er it up Neil by putting wax anywhere near it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back