Not Wormy Good

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have been experimenting on the lathe recently. I turned this bowl out of some 'character' sycamore that I have. Before I even put it on the lathe, I knew it had worm in it. So I thought it would be good fodder for colouring/texturing.

DSC_2384.JPG

As you can see, I took the spray cans to it. Silver Car Paint and Black Ebonising Lacquer. The spray job is not complete in this pic. I've halted the experiment as I don't know how to treat the worm holes. My initial thought was to keep them in, but I don't think they 'work'.

They only exist in the hollowed bowl, not around the edges. I'm thinking about filling them. Another option would be to use a multi-tool and try to make the worm holes look 'better'. But I think that has potential to be a disaster.

In a moment of madness, I took the chucking point off, which has narrowed my options.

Any thoughts appreciated.

what about making them slightly larger and filling with brass or other metal/plastic fillings , could look good, especially against the silver.
Could you try a jam chuck to remount it?

stevebuk":2csssz6w said:
what about making them slightly larger and filling with brass or other metal/plastic fillings , could look good, especially against the silver.
Could you try a jam chuck to remount it?

Yeh I like that Steve. I'd not thought about that. Gold against the silver might work? Cheers.

Thanks for your input on my dilemma Jon. But I don't want to get into another wood vs colour/texture debate. For me personally, the wood is a medium and if it's full of worm and got black 'shade' (which is typical with sycamore) then I'd rather colour it. If nothing else, it's better than throwing it away.

Not tried any sycamore in that state Tom. I'll have to give it a go when I get the chance and see what you mean??

Just as well we all ain't the same anyway mate :D

Anyway, my bedtime now. Might just have to have a argument/discusion with a France Telecoms bloke in the morning and I need me beauty sleep before then!!

Jon, if you would like a bit, I'd be happy to send some at cost. Might be a bit much over to you tho. I've got loads! ;)

The spray effect looks worth following up Tom, I like the graded effect. I've done worm holes before with epoxy brass powder mix but only on unfinished wood so can't say what it would look like. Always worth experimenting.

Pete

You could always drive across with some :evil: :evil:

Seriously Tom, that's a nice thought and thank you, but it would cost much more than it would be worth?

I now have almost 5 cubic meters of mixed beech, platan and what the French call chene blanc. I think it's European oak? And friends and neighbours are always giving me enough wood to stop me getting bored!

Our best neighbour gave me some box, about 4 1/2" diameter and bone dry!

Well that might be a possibility next summer Jon. We're considering driving down to France for a long holiday. So I'll look you up if we do. We can swap beautiful wood for ugly wood :lol:

Pete, thanks, my only concern with the filling idea is that I might endup with the same problem. I Think the issue is the 'not random enough' pattern to the wormery. Nothing lost in trying tho.

Alternatively, if you are able to remount, sawdust and Ca or epoxy in the holes, leave proud then cut back. Using a spray you should be able to make them invisible? It looks good enough to me at least to persevere with.

pete

Yeh that was how I was thinking and then for reasons I can't explain, I reversed it and removed the chucking point! I think I was thinking along the lines of "All I need to do is fill it and spray it, so I'm done with the lathe." Not thinking that obviously the easiest\best way to cut the filler back would be on the lathe! The only way I can think of re-chucking it is with a vac chuck. I've got the pump, but not the chuck! :roll:

Well, I would just make one, stick say 10 or so panel pins in a thin piece of wood and glue this onto a handle of sorts. Use the 10 points to stipple the inside of the bowl, a light sanding and spray and you should have a more even textured bowl, simples! LOL!

ahh I see what you're saying Lee. Well I could use the flexi-shaft and some cutters for that. The only cutters I have are for piercing and didn't create the right effect when I was experimenting. I'll have a look and see if I can find some ball shaped ones. Anyone know a source?

Cheers Pete. I've actually got a couple of the diamond coated ones and all they do is burn more than anything. I think they are intended for metal grinding\engraving?

I've just been surfing ebay for carbide burs and will probably end up getting a selection of those. It seems like the better idea, to try and make the 'pattern' look more 'intended' ;)

I would htink that it's a lump-a-wood with some panel pins bashed into it head first and then vent yer spleen on the inside of the bowl with it? If nothing else it would the worms something to think about!!

It's a lovely part of France down this way. The largest vinyard in the World and so much history that you wouldn't believe it. This is about 6 miles away

(Sorry about the long link, too early for me to sort it I'm afraid!!) anything else you want sorted this week :lol: CHJ

Back