eBay sniping tools - A question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never used one of these so know little about them.

I guess what I need to understand is whether:

1 - Snipers are used like the 'Maximum bid' tool (eg they will keep bidding until you win or your max is beaten)?
2 - Or they are a single shot, best offer basis?

My assumption is that the sniper works as per the top option, by quickly repeat bidding until either the max is reached, or you win by beating someone else's max.

Or are snipers used purely as a one shot, max bid tool?

What I want to know is (assuming it works as per option 1), if multiple people set up snipers for the end of one of my listings, all with their own maximum bids, would the one with the highest maximum bid definitely win?

Do they all bid with one second to go, or less, and if this is the case, is it pot luck as to how quickly eBay's software/hardware responds as to which bid will win?

TrimTheKing":2wupycup said:
I have never used one of these so know little about them.

I guess what I need to understand is whether:

1 - Snipers are used like the 'Maximum bid' tool (eg they will keep bidding until you win or your max is beaten)?
2 - Or they are a single shot, best offer basis?

My assumption is that the sniper works as per the top option, by quickly repeat bidding until either the max is reached, or you win by beating someone else's max.

Or are snipers used purely as a one shot, max bid tool?

What I want to know is (assuming it works as per option 1), if multiple people set up snipers for the end of one of my listings, all with their own maximum bids, would the one with the highest maximum bid definitely win?

Do they all bid with one second to go, or less, and if this is the case, is it pot luck as to how quickly eBay's software/hardware responds as to which bid will win?

theres a lot of good info on this on the goofbay forums

but basically the sniper shoots a maximum bid in to ebay, whose own max bifdding tool will then do the multiples up to the max set by the sniper (just like it would if you bid manually)

the advantage of sniping is that you can set it to go in at the last five seconds or whatever.

the one with the highest bid ought to win , but it is complicated by the ebay bid increment system - which basaically means that if for example the increment is £2.50 if one person has bid £50 and person 2 bids £51 then person 2 wont win because they arent up by a clear increment

Also snipers can sometimes fail because the server gets busy, or because there clock isnt set the same as ebays , or because a buyer doesnt meet requirements set by a seller (like thast they should have 10 positive feedbacks or whatever)

like i said above have a look here https://www.goofbay.com/forum/ as i'm sure they'll explain it better than i have

I set my maximum bid and leave it at that. If I don't win I don't.
But for sure my bids go in late enough that no one can respond. Doesn't happen often, but sometimes my maximum bid is lower than an earlier, higher bid.

You can change your max bid at any time of course up to the last two minutes. If your bid wins, you don't pay your maximum; but only one increment above the next highest bid.

HTH
John

Benchwayze":1k38x353 said:
I set my maximum bid and leave it at that. If I don't win I don't.
But for sure my bids go in late enough that no one can respond. Doesn't happen often, but sometimes my maximum bid is lower than an earlier, higher bid.

You can change your max bid at any time of course up to the last two minutes. If your bid wins, you don't pay your maximum; but only one increment above the next highest bid.

HTH
John
Thanks John

I'm not actually buying, I was asking from a selling perspective. We have an item up, with 60+ watchers (but only 4 bids thus far, 1 day left) and have had 30 requests for a buy it now price. The item sells for, on average £320 so we have said £320 as BIN or we will take our chances on the auction.

I was more concerned that if it comes down to a flurry of late bids, with people using snipers, will we get the very best bid winning. Sounds like we will and the sniper is a max bid, single shot tool so I'm reasonably happy.

Fingers crossed...

TrimTheKing":4ulob9h8 said:
I'm not actually buying, I was asking from a selling perspective. We have an item up, with 60+ watchers (but only 4 bids thus far, 1 day left) and have had 30 requests for a buy it now price. The item sells for, on average £320 so we have said £320 as BIN or we will take our chances on the auction.

I was more concerned that if it comes down to a flurry of late bids, with people using snipers, will we get the very best bid winning. Sounds like we will and the sniper is a max bid, single shot tool so I'm reasonably happy.

Fingers crossed...

Mark,
if you have time it may be worth editing your post on ebay or adding in the next question response that you have x number of watchers and to be aware of snipers. A friend sold a car and once he pointed out that there were 70 watchers the bids started coming in (he edited the text to add the tyre tread depth or something equally trivial).
When I sell anything of value I add in the description that I welcome bids from everyone including those that snipe but point out that in the event of a tie the earliest bidder will win

You probably have a high amount of watchers because the price is low. My auctions always start at .50p and I always get a ton of watchers and questions.

oddsocks":3hm24f2h said:
TrimTheKing":3hm24f2h said:

Fingers crossed...

Mark,
if you have time it may be worth editing your post on ebay or adding in the next question response that you have x number of watchers and to be aware of snipers. A friend sold a car and once he pointed out that there were 70 watchers the bids started coming in (he edited the text to add the tyre tread depth or something equally trivial).
When I sell anything of value I add in the description that I welcome bids from everyone including those that snipe but point out that in the event of a tie the earliest bidder will win
Cheers Dave, just done this, lt's see what happens...

Latest posts

Back