EBay Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
I often pop into eBay just out of curiosity to see which scroll saws are for sale and what the going rate is. Lately, there have been some good quality second-hand saws going at bargain basement prices. I suspect this is often down to the vendor insisting that the buyer collects rather than going to the trouble of arranging a courier. Yesterday a Hegner 2 went for just £127! At least I think it was a Hegner 2 - the photographs were unclear and it might actually have been a Hegner Quick!

The point is, if anyone is looking for a decent saw, don't overlook eBay. Often vendors don't really understand the saw, especially if they are clearing out the junk from late Uncle Albert's workshop. Then they shoot themselves in the foot by insisting the buyer collects.

In the past, I bought a Hegner Quick with a tension release lever mounted on a proper Hegner stand for £200. It had hardly been used but the vendor insisted on collection only. So for the cost of a return trip from Bromsgrove to Doncaster (plus £200) I got a saw which had hardly been used and at today's price would cost over £1100.

Anyone who's in the market for a saw should keep an eye on eBay. Of course, there are always going to be risks buying second-hand, but there are some fabulous opportunities too.

Hi Gill I know from the past you really rate Hedgner, in your apinion are they better than the Dewalt. I have just received a e mail from France saying that delta products are no longer available in europe Mal

It's a shame Delta are no longer available in Europe. By all accounts, their saws were very good value for money.

My preference is for Hegner rather than DeWalt for a simple reason: DeWalt no longer supply their 788s to Europe. This means there is no after-sales service even if you can get hold of a DeWalt. In terms of performance, there is little to choose between the machines. Blade changing can be marginally speedier on a DeWalt than on a Hegner, but raising the upper arm of the DeWalt is a pain unless you have an auxiliary arm lift.

Insofar as price is concerned, I see DeWalts retail for about $500 in the US whereas a Hegner 2SV is about £708. At current exchange rates, the DeWalt would retail in the UK for about £300. If DeWalt exported to the UK, even allowing for transport costs and taxes, I would have no hesitation in opting for DeWalt on economic grounds alone.

Latest posts

Back