Ebay prices - has the world gone mad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been finding ebay a bit frustrating these days, just too many people bidding on any item I've been watching, so the final price is usually no better than the 'going second hand rate' for that item, maybe even higher. Once prices get to a certain level, I'd rather just pay the little bit extra and get the full warranty and reduced hassle should anything go wrong.

Also noticed a lot more business sellers passing themselves off as private sellers, selling 'new' gear with a high starting price and no buy it now, so completely avoiding to comply with distance selling or any trading regs. Plus no receipt, so unlikely to be able to get a warranty repair from the manufacturer.

Still, ebay is great for competitive priced buy-it-now's, and most sellers dispatch quickly to ensure positive feedback.

BTW, how about this price for a Triton Router table?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-TRITON-Univer ... 4399f6e2c4

A snip at over £1,100 :)

Interestingly, it says '7 sold'...

Some may recall a thread I put up about a year or so ago on a Deft tablesaw which I won on ebay for £560 frm Lyndhurst Machinery. To cut a long story short I lost the saw because the chap went bust.

I saw (different seller but strangely enough in the same neck of the woods) the same go for over £1200 on ebay last week, what a difference a year makes.

Router table at over a grand....absolute bargain

If you ever get an opportunity, put an old Elu (whatever type it is my dad has which is 30 years old)next to a Trend T5 (I bought mine a few years ago) and you'll find the same tool identifier on the base casting, i.e they are the same.

Aidan

Aiden,
apparently Perles designed and made the small router
They still make the planer and belt sander after Dewalt dropped them
Matt

Bluekingfisher":2kpf7tdu said:
Some may recall a thread I put up about a year or so ago on a Deft tablesaw which I won on ebay for £560 frm Lyndhurst Machinery. To cut a long story short I lost the saw because the chap went bust.

I saw (different seller but strangely enough in the same neck of the woods) the same go for over £1200 on ebay last week, what a difference a year makes.

Router table at over a grand....absolute bargain

£1200 for a machine with no warranty and no spares support? ............ Scary :shock:

Good business for the seller, I still think ebay is a good option, supply and demand comes to mind. If you have a quality item which is in short supply then why not get as much as you can for it.

The belief that vendors will sell their items for next to nothing is ridiculous, surely as a seller one would expect to get a going rate for what they are selling. Admitedly sometimes one picks up a bargain, for several reasons, afterall its an auction and anything goes.

Personally I have just sold some items and made just over £600 on used woodworking tools. Of course I was hoping for more as any seller would. To be honest I'm not thinking about the buyer getting it at bargain prices. I know what I paid for my tools and have looked after them and happy in the knowledge that what they buy will be how it has been described as in good condition and well maintained. Some of the items however surprised me on their final bid prices, but their you go.

As a buyer I have done equally well, you just have to be patient or be willing to pay what you think its top value is. We are all adults so should have the judgement and sense when to make a bid or back off.....Just an opinion

Bluekingfisher":2x5af7z4 said:
The belief that vendors will sell their items for next to nothing is ridiculous

I don't think anyone actually thinks that - I believe people ultimately expect to pay an appropriate second hand price for used gear, however ebay has been traditionally associated with 'grabbing a bargain' - while I'm sure we've all heard of the lucky people who pick up expensive gear for pennies, we still believe that ebay affords an opportunity to get used stuff a bit lower than buying from a classified ad or similar. This however this seems rarely the case, and in many cases prices seem to be encroaching towards the current 'retail' prices, which is crazy, but of course a by-product of the adrenalin rush of an auction.

Ebay is great for rarities, but when it comes to used gear that is still available to buy new in retail stores, I'm not convinced the current closing prices make any sense considering the lack of warranty nor ability to return goods (hammer).

Steel City Man":1i2njq3g said:
Ebay is great for rarities, but when it comes to used gear that is still available to buy new in retail stores, I'm not convinced the current closing prices make any sense considering the lack of warranty nor ability to return goods (hammer).

Can't agree, they may be rare but there are occasions when a bargain can still be had on used gear. Recently bought a Lamello Top Biscuit Jointer for less than £100. To get the same new would have been £400+. I take your point about warranty but at a saving of £300 I was prepared to trust the seller when he said there was nowt wrong with it, apart from a missing extraction hose and connector, and take a chance that there won't be anytime soon.

No, I would tend to agree, We all know there are idiots out there, who will bid and bid because they would rather win the auction at an exuberant price rather than walk away when the price reaches the ridiculous.

This isn't a problem when they are bidding on my stuff but tend to get in the way when one is genuinely after an item which could be considered a bargain.

Like I said earlier, if one posts an article the week when all the idiots are locked away then the seller may lose out and the buyer obtain a bargain. then again when someone breaks the doors of the asylumn down they all seem to be on ebay bidding way beyond what the item is worth from a second hand and without warranty article.

I guess we have to rely on pot luck as to what week we post or look for goods. An example of this was I put a TV on ebay which ended last night. I pondered selling it for about 6 months then finally got around to it. I had never seen this TV on there before. The week I did 3 other identical TV were posted within 48 hrs of mine being listed....coincidence?? or others thinking "if he can sell his I'll sell mine :duno:

Nowt queer as folk, as they say

I agree about rarities on eBay. I'd been watching out for an old Coronet Imp for our British-only shed, and bought one the other day for £20! It's great too. Quiet and solid. Bit bigger than I recalled though. No dust extraction port!!!! I'll have to drill a hole for a hose I guess, then link it up to a made-in-Devon Numatic Henry!

Nick

I'm not sure if they're all idiots or whatever. I just think some of them really don't bother to do any research to find the going rate for what they're buying. That may be stupidity or lazyness or just inexperience. Of course there are some that, as said, just keep on bidding as they're determined to win, that is just stupid as a buyer, as a seller it's great. I never thought for a minute that my Tablesaw would fetch what it did, and there was me thinking 'What the hell am I going to do with it if it don't sell?'

Bluekingfisher":2ztojabu said:
Good business for the seller, I still think ebay is a good option, supply and demand comes to mind. If you have a quality item which is in short supply then why not get as much as you can for it.

The belief that vendors will sell their items for next to nothing is ridiculous, surely as a seller one would expect to get a going rate for what they are selling. Admitedly sometimes one picks up a bargain, for several reasons, afterall its an auction and anything goes.

Personally I have just sold some items and made just over £600 on used woodworking tools. Of course I was hoping for more as any seller would. To be honest I'm not thinking about the buyer getting it at bargain prices. I know what I paid for my tools and have looked after them and happy in the knowledge that what they buy will be how it has been described as in good condition and well maintained. Some of the items however surprised me on their final bid prices, but their you go.

As a buyer I have done equally well, you just have to be patient or be willing to pay what you think its top value is. We are all adults so should have the judgement and sense when to make a bid or back off.....Just an opinion

+1000%

Blinkin' good post!

Says it all really.

If you think that eBay is a poor, expensive vehicle to buy things, (and I don't if you do the above)....then don't bid.

It's quite simple really.

Also...a cardinal rule...don't EVER bid after the pub! That is pure suicide. (also why I always pitch my auctions to end at about 11:30pm on a Saturday! :wink: 8) )

Jim

jimi43":19pi1q07 said:
... also why I always pitch my auctions to end at about 11:30pm on a Saturday! :wink: 8) )
Jim
You're the reason I've got a big notice on my computer saying "DON'T BID AFTER 9:00 pm" :lol:

Yes Ebay tends to get some strange people selling things, I was looking for some Kreg bits and noticed a guy selling a pocket hole depth collar and small allen key starting bid £2 and £2 postage I checked the Axminster price and see that they sell it for £1.51 plus postage so I asked the seller on e bay if he was open to an offer as these were only £1.51 from Axminster He replied WELL BUY IT FROM AXMINSTER, I appoligised as I didn't mean to upset him I just pointed out that he may be wasting his time listing at that price and had thought that an offer may be acceptable, No reply and then noticed he had reduced the starting bid down to £1.51 but put the postage cost upto £4.95. Wouldn't cost more than 90 pence postage. Just can't seem to help some people, mind you I will keep looking to see if it sells and if it does I'm off to Axminster to buy all their stock.

Jim you sneaky old fox, I had never thought of ending it at pub kick out time.....................And of course I NEVER will...well maybe :-"

I think this is what is called auction fever =P~ =P~

I saw it happen a few years ago in a factory clearence sale, when a well used Sedgwick mortiser made £10 less than I had just paid for a brand new one ( once the commision had been added it was more).

I heard the guy who bought it tell his mate what a great deal they had just got. #-o #-o

Tom

Back