Ebay fools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well, I saw a LN edge plane on ebay for sale a few days back and it ended last night - item number 26014309756

Someone paid £83 + £7.25 postage and any paypal fees for a 2nd hand plane

Axminster sell that same plane for £93 including P&P and VAT

A bargain eh? :lol: :lol:

There's one born every minute..........

How about an 'All Metal Stanley Wood Plane' - no picture, model number, no information at all, £20 + £5 p&p. TTP? No-one's been daft enough yet.

It seems that as soon as 'collectable' comes up lights go on in some sellers' eyes...

But it's always been the case that people (dumb people) pay more on eBay. I knew of a guy who advertised stuff freely available from Argos (even nicked Argos' illustrations) and just added £10 to the 'bargain' price. When people bought it he went and got it from Argos and mailed it to them. He made a profit on the postage as well.

Tony":2d29gvvw said:
Well, I saw a LN edge plane on ebay for sale a few days back and it ended last night - item number 26014309756

Someone paid £83 + £7.25 postage and any paypal fees for a 2nd hand plane

Axminster sell that same plane for £93 including P&P and VAT

A bargain eh? :lol: :lol:

There's one born every minute..........

Thats not a very nice way to talk about Philly :lol:

Smudger":11ycy7lu said:
I knew of a guy who advertised stuff freely available from Argos (even nicked Argos' illustrations) and just added £10 to the 'bargain' price. When people bought it he went and got it from Argos and mailed it to them. He made a profit on the postage as well.

Fantastic idea - why didn't I think of that :)

Cheers Mike

some one is selling tapered jigs from rutlands (cost 19.99) including rutlands picture in the ad, the last one sold for £52. does no one on ebay search for the tools they are thinking of buying before making a bid, to much money burning a hole in there pockets me thinks

I don't know why people don't take the time to check the prices of these things out in regular shops. I was looking at some photographic equipment and noticed a lot of B&W photographic paper. Upon further inspection I noticed I could buy the same thing for a pound or two more than the current high highest bid from a reputable online shop. I took the time to email the current highest bidder that he should probably end his bidding there and then and pointed him to the aforementioned source. His response? 'Mind your own business'!

when buying anything from ebay I always check the new price.......

makes you wonder about some people ......... surely they have time to do a quick check

Does the same thing apply to auctions? I have noticed that prices at auction seem to be higher than, say, Classic Hand Tools - and eBay tends to be higher then CHT as well.

Tony":26972p7t said:

Just had to go have a look but eBay says this item doesn't exist.
At least it will have been run in nicely :wink:

halken":1qjq2fpb said:
some one is selling tapered jigs from rutlands (cost 19.99) including rutlands picture in the ad, the last one sold for £52. does no one on ebay search for the tools they are thinking of buying before making a bid, to much money burning a hole in there pockets me thinks

I saw that too. What puzzled me was, if you need a tapering jig, you must have a table saw already, so you must have at least wondered about having a tapering jig (one of the first things you get/make for a TS?) before and not shelled out £52 on a whim without looking elsewhere first. I saw this week that Axminster are selling a seemingly identical model for about a tenner. Might buy a few and knock them out on Ebay, there's at least one mug out there who's disappointed that his (or her) £50 bid wasn't high enough. I'll even knock a fiver off. Yours for £45.

Mine is two bits of MDF and a spare hinge. Works fine, cost nowt.

To keep fit I ride a bike. I recently wanted a front light. So looked on Ebay. Found something suitable looking - cost £15 + £6 p&p. Found the seller had a 'normal' online shop where the same light was for sale at £20 incl p&p. OK so only a pound difference, but somethings aren't always as good as they seem.

:Edit: oops, sorry strayed OT there.

I sold an item on eBay recently that I expected to go for around £100-120, which was the going rate for similar. It eventually went for £189 - £14 more than a brand new one.

If the buyers can't be bothered to check the new price, who am I to argue? I made over £70 out of him not checking, thank you very much. :D

It's not just online auctions where people lose their heads. I went an auction near my inlaws holiday cottage a few years ago. They auctioned off about 8' of used clothesline rope. Got $11 for it. I was totally amazed because you could go into a local store and buy a 50' coil for about $5. There were also half full jugs of what were supposed to be chemicals for the lawn. Could have been just water for all you could tell by looking. People were bidding furiously for those things and every one of them went for more than a brand new full jug would have sold for at the store just down the road. :roll:

the auctioneer earned his fee that day.

Compare this Makita 5704 on Ebay with this at Screwfix :shock:

It's not only buyers who can be fools, though. A lot of sellers don't check their titles for spelling or typos, so their items don't show up in searches. For example, if you search for 'cicular saw' (note the missing 'r') you often get one or two. When I'm searching I often try to think of common typos or spelling mistakes and search for them as well.

Dave

There are a few special 'misspelled' search programs available to look for stuff you might miss on Ebay. I just did a Google search on Ebay misspelled and came up with a few eg. www.bargainchecker.com

These sorts can certainly help find 'fings spelt rong'

MisterFish

mr":2jlk987f said:
Smudger":2jlk987f said:
I knew of a guy who advertised stuff freely available from Argos (even nicked Argos' illustrations) and just added £10 to the 'bargain' price. When people bought it he went and got it from Argos and mailed it to them. He made a profit on the postage as well.

Fantastic idea - why didn't I think of that :)

Cheers Mike

Because you are an ethical and upstanding citizen Mike.

The guy was breaking the law. Deception under the Theft Act. He might have been prosecuted of course, though I can't see the Crown Prosecution Service risking that one in Court! Unless the guy left the Argos ticket in the bag!

What you could do, quite ethically, is buy say a dozen of these items, on discount at Argos, first. They are then your property. You don't have to divulge your source and Argos don't care what you do with them. If you make a profit, all well and good. As long as the Treasury doesn't hear about it. Then it wouldn't be worth the effort in tax! I think I would at least have the decency to use my own photographs though!

John :cry:

Back