Easy money

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see a problem with people upcycling as they are saying things from landfill. Any wood is sacred in my eyes and the more than is saved from landfill the better. If people are buying it and getting pleasure from it then brilliant. Human civilisation has and still sees most goods as disposable and the more we change that the better.

I agree that some of the links posted up in this thread are frown worthy but what else would have happened to them?

I quite like the cable reel umbrella stand. And if any of these bring joy to someone then only a grade A misery would begrudge it.

Don't let's forget that throughout history the primary reason much furniture has been made or designed was to impress the owner's wealth or social status upon its beholders - it was not necessarily inherently good design (or manufacture, in some cases).
A comment on Jelly's post above - an acquaintance of mine for years now has had all his furniture made, as he reckons that it is no more expensive than buying first class mass produced.

Doris":2lt9c86h said:
I don't see a problem with people upcycling as they are saying things from landfill. Any wood is sacred in my eyes and the more than is saved from landfill the better. If people are buying it and getting pleasure from it then brilliant. Human civilisation has and still sees most goods as disposable and the more we change that the better.

I agree with Doris on this, In some areas Timber really is responsibly recycled and re used.
I read that instead of being flung into a skip, the wood is sorted, any defects cut out and resold.
Any Firewood and lightings are also sold and help pay the running costs, which in today's 'elf and safety obsessed
society, is good going.
I see that one is making and selling garden furniture from recycled timber, Very well done, I say,
Please come down here to Sunny Devon and show the way it's done!
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":3lmuwwae said:
I agree with Doris on this, In some areas Timber really is responsibly recycled and re used.
I read that instead of being flung into a skip, the wood is sorted, any defects cut out and resold.
Any Firewood and lightings are also sold and help pay the running costs, which in today's 'elf and safety obsessed
society, is good going.

Wood recycling in the UK is quite well developed, indeed for solid wood in good condition you'll be paid a rebate for.

Good quality material is either sold for reuse or chipped to make OSB and Wood Flour for MDF, shavings of the same quality are sold for Pet Bedding and making Chip-board.

Lower Grades are shredded (not chipped), and blended with other combustible wastes to form a blend with a stable Calorific Value, which is then sold to Energy Recovery Facilities (read incinerators) on the continent to allow to them to maintain the temperature profile of the Kiln.

CCA Treated material is the only exception as it's processed exclusively by the UK's three High Temperature Incinerator's which have the facility to scrub the heavy metals from the flue gas, but not to recover the energy from the combustion process (for reasons related to exemption from paying Hydrocarbon Duty, not because it's technologically difficult).

You are all missing the point, it may be rubbish but people are buying it , if not the maker would not make any more, and try his hand at something else !
Peoples tastes are so variable where as maybe 10 may go for it , 100 will be going to Oak furniture land, and the 2 who can't make up their mind may try the bespoke route and come knocking on my door !

Back