ear defenders or earplugs which do you prefer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racers":qccan1s8 said:
+1 for Peltor optime 3s very quiet but not that comfortable with glasses.
Good to have on in the house you can see the wifes lips move but can't hear anything apart for your heartbeat.

Pete
Good idea Pete, I'm off to get a pair for in the house, even though I can't hear her without my hearing aids in, just want to be 100% sure. :lol:

Stew

My employers had some people carry out a noise survey at work and a number of people were provided with custom ear plugs as a result. However, the advice from the top was:
Best: Ear defenders, such as the Peltor Optime that someone has already recommended
2nd best: Custom ear plugs
3rd best: foam mouldable earplugs

Some points to note:
- Custom earplugs worn under ear defenders are very good!
- As well as the dB rating of hearing protection, try and work out what frequency you are protecting against and look at the frequency range specifications. Some are specifically designed to protect against the more damaging higher energy higher frequencies.
- If using mouldable foam earplugs, take care to fit them properly. Cock your head to one side (e.g. to the left) then pass your left hand around the back of your head to pull the top of the opposing (right) ear upwards to open up the ear canal; using your right hand, mould the plug to a narrow shape and insert fully. When it expands, it will seal much more effectively than just stuffing it in the 'ole. It is easier to do than to explain!

Duncan

Hello,

Another one for peltor III. Just the right amount of attenuation for my machines in the shed.

Mike.

One good thing about ear plugs is if you leave them in your jeans pockets and wash them you can use them again.

Pete

Custom fit ear plugs designed to take headphones (done in Boots, although you can buy 2 part kits and do it yourself very cheaply), music playing through the ear plugs and then ear defenders on top.
I've just checked the ear defenders and they're Peltor. Even on their own they're are very good.

got the peltor III by 3M, it has been very good and useful for me, I have very sensitive hearing and they work very well.

As has been said, defenders are easier to put on and take off, and I find that encourages me to use them in the workshop. Ears do get sweaty, and defenders push the side arms of my specs into my skin and that makes my ears sore if I use them for any length of time, (when cutting the field on the tractor for example).
I use plugs when using the brushcutter because defenders don't allow my face visor to sit properly and give proper protection. They are not really comfortable either though. I have tried foam ones which you compress in your fingers and they expand in your ears. I prefer the soft plastic type though, they are easier to insert properly.

Using both really does block out the noise, don't often need to use both though.

K

Latest posts

Back