ear defenders or earplugs which do you prefer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have always used defenders currently Uvex 31db but find that after wearing them for a day my ears hurt
and still get ringing/fuzz in my ears.
Brought some Uvex plugs that are on a cord supposed to be 100db, although machinery sounds louder than
with using defenders.
Still getting the hang of them, am i supposed to push and twist as far as they will go, if not they work their
way out.
What is your preferred choice ?

I prefer defenders, although they can make your ears sweat a bit.

Only ever used the foam-type plugs that you compress first and they expand in your lughole. I found they gave me earache although they do offer a better level of protection.

Also, combined with a mask or other PPE, plugs don't get in the way like my defenders do, but I still prefer defenders.

3M Peltor Optime III ear defenders, I must point out that I don't wear them all the time, only when operating noisy machinery.
A bit late for me too as I suffer from severe to profound hearing loss.

Stew

Of I could get the plugs to stay in my frikkin ears, I'd definitely prefer them.

As it is, I have to settle with the sweaty ear defenders

Baldhead":2970ct9g said:
3M Peltor Optime III ear defenders, I must point out that I don't wear them all the time, only when operating noisy machinery.

+1 on both choice of defender and 'on off' approach.

I use 3M Peltor 3 in the workshop, and banded Moldex earplugs when installing, or working with a face mask - the banded earplugs still need to be 'screwed in' to get a good fit, but once they're in they stay put and work well. Those Hertz earplugs look interesting - thanks for the link!

sawdust1":2g0h2yoq said:
Brought some Uvex plugs that are on a cord supposed to be 100db, although machinery sounds louder than with using defenders.
Reading the specs, they say they're 'for use in environments up to 100Db' - but it looks like they only attenuate (SNR?) 27Db, which would explain why they're not as effective as the over-ear defenders. When I was looking to try out banded plugs, I couldn't find any that were rated higher than about 27/28Db, be interested if anybody's found one that are rated in the ~30-odd Db category.

Thanks, Pete

Sawdust1, ears come in different sizes just like shoes. If your plugs wont stay in, you need wider ones. DONT ram the ones you have in too far.

if you need to wear them most of the time, look up a shooting ear defender company like pro shock. They will make custom silicone ear inserts. The silicone is poured into your ears to make a 100% custom fit. Then they install from a range of noise attenuating devices to suit your circumstances.
I have a set for shotgunning and they are extremely good.
About a £100, but you only need to buy them once.

Earplugs have a knack to being fitted in correctly but once you've mastered it they're very effective. I buy the 3M ones in bulk and wear them in bed when I'm struggling to sleep. However for woodworking I use ear defenders, they're easier to take on/off and re-use plus block a different range of noise which I feel is more effective.

Sunny bob, i might look into those custom made plugs, and yes i would say my lugs are on the large side.
I keep the ear protection on most of the day as i'm on and off the radial arm saw most of the time, its usually
running all day, and especially now i'm getting ringing in the ears, and can't tolerate sharp noises that most
machines give out.

+1 for Peltor optime 3s very quiet but not that comfortable with glasses.
Good to have on in the house you can see the wifes lips move but can't hear anything apart for your heartbeat.

Pete

I have several pairs of Peltor ear muffs, from 30 years of shooting, and they are quite good, but the in ear custom silicone are at least twice as quiet, and your ears dont get hot.
Plus of course, wearing them indoors means the other half doeasnt realise youre not listening.

I use the Silverline auto attenuating ear defenders from Toolstation. I work a lot in my garage with the door open so people sometimes appear at the door and the last thing you need when working with sharp tools is jumping out of your skin because you didn't hear them coming! The good thing being you can have a conversation, listen to the birds singing etc without needing to take them off between loud tools and then forget to put them back on or spend half your day looking for them. Keeps you concentrating on your work.

Wizard9999":14ztojqm said:
Baldhead":14ztojqm said:

+1 on both choice of defender and 'on off' approach.

+2 Peltor Optime III ear defenders with polycarbonate visor. Brilliant combo

Back