DW621k 1/2" collet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stix

Established Member
Reaction score
I found this collet on amazon.

It says DW621 in the title but I assumed my router was only capable of taking 1/4" shank cutters :?

Is the American version of the router any different to the UK version or would this collet work in my router?

Would the DW621k be ok running 1/2" shank cutters?

Anyone know if and where I can get one in the UK?

Cheers
Steve

stix":2t6cuurk said:
I assumed my router was only capable of taking 1/4" shank cutters

Me too.

There doesn't seem to be a 1/2" collet on this parts list

and the blurb says collet size 6-8mm. I guess you'll need to hope one of the 'Murrican members has a 621

Cheers

The 621 is sold as a 1/4" collet router as far as I can see. The style of collet shown in your link is that which fits to a male threaded shaft, with the collet nut screwing onto the outside of the shaft and the collet sleeve needing to fit inside the shaft.

Remove your existing collet and check the internal diameter of the threaded shaft - therein lies your answer. :)

Ray.

If you go onto dewalt.com the specifications show 1/2" & 1/4" but on dewalt.co.uk the specifications show 6-8mm :? :?

The collet and nut on amazon look the same as my 1/4" one and in the right proportions too. I won't be home until tomorrow night so I can't check my router til then for the exact size.

I think I may just go for it and order one (unless someone tells me it doesn't fit). It will be nice to start building up a collection of 1/2" router cutters for my 1/4" router :D

Cheers
Steve

Steve
The 621 is sold (I believe) in the US as a 1/2 in router. This is due to 110v allowing a more powerful motor to be fitted. With the 240v version the motor can't put out enough oomph, so 1/4 inch it is.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

With the 240v version the motor can't put out enough oomph, so 1/4 inch it is.

Surely if I stuck within the 36mm maximum cutter diameter this would be within the capability of the router?

Philly":27miskuc said:
Steve
The 621 is sold (I believe) in the US as a 1/2 in router. This is due to 110v allowing a more powerful motor to be fitted. With the 240v version the motor can't put out enough oomph, so 1/4 inch it is.
Hope this helps

Why does the fact that it's a 110V motor mean it's more powerful?

Mike

Hi Steve

To anyone who has the DW621K in the UK, I would recommend that you buy the 8mm collet. When you buy 8mm bits you'll be getting much stronger bits, with 60% more steel, for the same money.

Cheers
Neil

Sawdust
Sorry, I'm not too good in the electrical department to answer that. I just remember that they could fit a more powerful motor for the size at 100v. Maybe one of our electricians can elaborate?

I bought a 621 back from the US, cost me £100. It was made in England(!) it has a 1/2" collet supplied, but it may have stronger armature shaft. It has a 10Amp motor (cf UK 110v models) You could ask DeWalt UK?

I do use 1/2" bits in mine as more rigid than 1/4", but only small diameters. It doesn't feel like what you'd call a 1/2" router, I use the 625 for that. There's a wider choice of smaller 1/2" bits availale from folk like Wealden, than in 8mm. Shame, as would be nice to ditch 1/4" altogether.

Back