Dust Extractor Hose

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I only have a small shed workshop. I have a 'vaccum' type extractor connected to a small cyclone and a blue bucket.

The extractor is one of these Vonhaus Dust Extractor. (Record Power and Axminster and Charnwood all make basically the same thing).

I use a short length of the 100mm tubing that it came with to from the extractor to the cyclone, and then from the cyclone to my tools I have been using the plastic 35mm hose that it came with. It works quite well, but is a bit poor quality and if I accidentally step on it etc it looks like it might split and im always a bit concerned. Also I only have a henry hose which I can use to extend it, and that involves using all sorts of adapters to change the diameter, invariably causing issues at the tool end (where I have modified the ports to take my 35mm hose.

Altogether it's a bit annoying - I am looking to find a more robust solution, i was thinking the Festool green hoses as they look quite good and their stuff is usually built really well, but i think its only 32mm and i'm not sure that i wouldnt be better with something slightly bigger. Also occasionally i use my small planer/thicknesser, and that makes some more signifcant chips (usually i have used the 100mm hose direct to the extractor (bypassing the cyclone so i have to empty and clean the extractor after each time i use it...) so I also need to buy a 60mm ish hose that will go onto the cyclone for that.

Tools I need to use it with are: DeWalt DWS774 mitre saw, Festool TS55 track saw, Excel Job site table saw (same as DW745), Festool Rotex, Festool ETS, Clarke CBS355 bandsaw, Titan Planer Thicknesser.

Basically my question is - does anyone have any recommendations for decent hoses - mainly for the portable tools like the sanders, mitre saw, and table saw.

Thanks

I use two extractors for my woodwork- the 1st is just simple Henry type vacuum +Oneida cyclone the outlet to the vac is approx 45 mm heavey duty hose and the other end going to the tools is the same as your Henry hose . This is used for all my small tools - sanders / handheld router /c/saw etc absolutely no issues or problems and it’s portable for on the job work or outside. The 2nd set up is a large numatic NV 750 ( I think) this machine can be used in 2 ways-same set up as my small tools via a cyclone but with 63 mm hose via a cheapo non brand cyclone or because the numatic has 2 inlets the smaller one can be capped off and I switch to the 100mm inlet for my bandsaw router table or portable planer . The 100mm is also via the cheapo cyclone but any dust or chips not dealt with by the cyclone goes directly into the collection drum of the numatic . Only issue with the numatic is the drum connected to the cyclone will sometimes implode if the hose blocks as it’s only a cheap brewers bucket but it too is portable and it works well for me . Check out the post “ why use a cyclone “ I’ve posted pics of my setups. You could be losing suction due to the short section of 100 mm ??

Numatic do a tougher hose called ‘Hi-lo flex’ which also has the benefit of a smooth(er) internal bore so more efficient - you lose a surprising amount from the ribs in flexible hose. It’s available in 32, 38 and 51mm diameter. Working out the diameter is a bit of a science (@Inspector ?). Despite convenience I’d try to keep lengths to a minimum, maybe have an overhead rigid duct you can plug into. But the Numatic hose is black and it’s useful with clear hose to see dropout (dust that has dropped out of the air stream) and blockages. If the mitre saw is stationary it will be more effective to make a massive ‘scoop’ behind it and plug in your 100mm hose.

Don't look at me. :dunno: HPLV isn't my usual focus so don't have much to add. I'm a proponent of HVLP systems with at least 150mm ducts. Not something you gents usually work with.

Pete

Don't look at me. :dunno: HPLV isn't my usual focus so don't have much to add. I'm a proponent of HVLP systems with at least 150mm ducts. Not something you gents usually work with.

Pete
Apologies, I must have been thinking of someone else more knowledgeable than me…when I put it like that it doesn’t narrow it down much :unsure:

Hello,

I only have a small shed workshop. I have a 'vaccum' type extractor connected to a small cyclone and a blue bucket.

The extractor is one of these Vonhaus Dust Extractor. (Record Power and Axminster and Charnwood all make basically the same thing).

I use a short length of the 100mm tubing that it came with to from the extractor to the cyclone, and then from the cyclone to my tools I have been using the plastic 35mm hose that it came with. It works quite well, but is a bit poor quality and if I accidentally step on it etc it looks like it might split and im always a bit concerned. Also I only have a henry hose which I can use to extend it, and that involves using all sorts of adapters to change the diameter, invariably causing issues at the tool end (where I have modified the ports to take my 35mm hose.

Altogether it's a bit annoying - I am looking to find a more robust solution, i was thinking the Festool green hoses as they look quite good and their stuff is usually built really well, but i think its only 32mm and i'm not sure that i wouldnt be better with something slightly bigger. Also occasionally i use my small planer/thicknesser, and that makes some more signifcant chips (usually i have used the 100mm hose direct to the extractor (bypassing the cyclone so i have to empty and clean the extractor after each time i use it...) so I also need to buy a 60mm ish hose that will go onto the cyclone for that.

Tools I need to use it with are: DeWalt DWS774 mitre saw, Festool TS55 track saw, Excel Job site table saw (same as DW745), Festool Rotex, Festool ETS, Clarke CBS355 bandsaw, Titan Planer Thicknesser.

Basically my question is - does anyone have any recommendations for decent hoses - mainly for the portable tools like the sanders, mitre saw, and table saw.

Thanks
How about using 42mm waste pipe around the perimeter of your shed with caps for blanking off different machines?

Just a thought.

Smooth bore hoses are preferable and in short lengths for best performance. Festool hoses however are excellent but pricey. They do come in different sizes. I use 27mm for sanders, 36mm for mitre saw and 50mm for table saw in my workshop as different tools will have different demands. In fact with sanders using 27mm I often have to turn down the suctions for best use. Don't forget with the festool hose they can fit inside or outside so quoted 'size' gets complicated! They are my choice for best 'ribbed' hose but will not win value / bang for buck award.

Despite the fact ribbed hoses are the least effective generally, they are used the most for convenience. Guilty as charged.

I have a friend who makes one expensive guitars. His extraction for all tools is 40mm ribbed hose with adaptors . He found out I had a 3d and I have made adaptors for all his bits to fit the hose. Just finished a Y section for his router to connect to top and bottom.
Having a small workshop this system of using them on a Nilfisk, suits him.
20220524_092944.jpg

Back