Dust extractor advise needed please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings all.

Among many many other things I need to do for the 'workshop' is install some dust extraction. The workshop is roughly single garage sized with a wooden shed built on the back.

What I would like to do is pretty simple...
Dust extractor located in the shed with 110mm soil pipe run in through the wall and running down the length of the workshop. Two inlets in the garage pipe, one at the far end and one halfway down with a gate on each. That's it nothing fancy at all.
I want to be able to extract from tablesaw/bandsaw/lunchbox style thicknesser/mitre saw, all the machines are going on wheels so I can swap around what I need.
I'm not fussed about pulling all the warm air out the shop, getting dust and dirty air out of the work space is number 1 priority.

So what extractor should I be buying to stick in the shed? I imagine it needs to have more pull than the sub £200 chip and dust extractors that seem to be sold everywhere. There seems to be some reasonable deals on some 3hp SIP extractors on eBay at the moment, or should I be looking at the record dx4000??

Also I remember seeing some home made gates somewhere recently that were made from a soil fitting cut in half with a sliding wooden gate in the middle, does anybody else remember seeing them and have a link I could look at?

Thanks for any help!

I am mulling over what dust extraction to set up myself at the moment and found this video very informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ivsVOp8NY

Although that video recommends against wet/dry workshop vacuum cleaners, I think there are 1 micron filters available for my Nilfisk one so current plan is to run the vac with 1 micron filter, also connected to a cyclone system so that the vac doesn't get so clogged up and locate those 2 devices in the adjacent outbuilding with ducting through the wall. Also, I'll probably get one of these for my main shed to catch any additional small particles floating around:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/record-power- ... 230v/13586

Bigus

A unit that can move about 1200 cfm is what you should aim for.
The 110mm soil pipe should work, just stay away from right angle turns.
A little bit larger diameter wouldn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back