Dust extraction hoods by the headstock, what do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear or see what your setup is, for taking away the dust by the lathe headstock. Are you using something homemade, do you use one of those big mouth hoods or similar?

Thanks all.

I picked up a used AC153E extractor yesterday and it came with 6m of 125mm hose, far too long for what I really need. I could cut it down though.

I see that the 125mm pipe gives an increase in flow rate, although I haven't found a dust hood that fits 125mm. Does such a thing exist?
I'm currently using some 100mm ducting that I already have and a make do plywood hood, I don't think it's ideal though.

What would you folks recommend, use the 125mm pipe with some sort of hood/mouth, or will the 100mm with a big mouth be good enough?

It's main use will be with the lathe, but on the odd occasion the extractor will be used with my planer/thicknesser.

My "hood" is one of those thin plastic boxes that you get mushrooms in at the supermarket. Cut an X with a knife and fix to pipe using duct tape. They last a few months then replace. I thought of upgrading to a flower pot a while back but it was raining and the shed is at the far end of the garden. I have a shop vac via a cyclone mounted on a bird-food tub, no expense spared. Tube fits into Bandsaw when required. It strikes me that you can have a bigger hood and lots of sucky-power or, as I do, get away with less power and have the hood just where it is needed. Mine is on a short rigid pipe on the end of a flex tube, was once bit of a vacuum cleaner, I hold it with my left hand when finish sanding and move so it's close to the work whether it's a big bowl or a long spindle. You see a satisfying stream of dust disappearing up the tube. If holding is inconvenient (rarely) I just clamp it to something.

Back to the OP, why not try attaching the new kit to your existing hood and see how well it works before spending money? . You have a lathe therefore have the means to make a stepped push fit adapter.

Hopper hoods, as above, work well too, I ended up preferring something lighter and easier to move about but may revert now I have a bigger lathe. Main thing is a hood it doesn't have to be special-branded-for-woodwork, lots of options out there.

Bell mouth hood is the best.

Pete

An attempt has been made. Please try and pretend that the knot isn't there, it was the only bit of dry wood I had that was thick enough.

I'll get a bit of ducting pipe with 90 degree bend, that'll be better.

20230508_180922.jpg

Please try and pretend that the knot isn't there...

It is a feature, carefully engineered by NASA's best aerodynamicists using modern CFD software, included as it will promote just the right degree of vortex shedding to improve performance over the plain version. Nature's own golf ball dimple.

Made this years ago from MDF, it doesn’t look that pristine now

C55CA653-598C-4F57-8C73-46C5D66FAF01.jpeg

it’s on an adjustable arm but I very rarely move it & it’s long enough to cover most of the stuff I turn

840D9FA4-301C-4591-937B-672DC7A668F2.jpeg

the two hoses go down to a MDF splitter box which is situated under the lathe & connects to the extractor via a 6” hose

6EE72313-2B0A-41FD-9793-B9924D33D946.jpeg

the only thing I’ve added since I made it is a grill made from chicken wire as the suction is such that it’s not been unknown for small bottles etc to end up in the extractor. 😖

Made this years ago from MDF, it doesn’t look that pristine now

View attachment 158804

it’s on an adjustable arm but I very rarely move it & it’s long enough to cover most of the stuff I turn

View attachment 158803
the two hoses go down to a MDF splitter box which is situated under the lathe & connects to the extractor via a 6” hose

View attachment 158802
the only thing I’ve added since I made it is a grill made from chicken wire as the suction is such that it’s not been unknown for small bottles etc to end up in the extractor. 😖
Thanks for sharing the photos (y)

My lathe is bench mounted and I've been looking at options for mounting the mouth of the hose near the headstock. I'm considering either a monitor arm, or maybe a short length of stayput hose. Or there might be another option that doesn't involve spending money ;)

That trumpet or bell mouth aerodynamic curve you see in the video Pete linked above has a real effect on fluid flow and increases the "reach" of the airflow further out from the end of the pipe.
@Andy's Shed , It was a smart move to turn that piece of wood for the end of your hose. Stick with the wider diameter hose but keep it as short as you can because the corrugations in flexible hose slow the air down. Always keep flex hoses as short as you can.

Thanks for sharing the photos (y)

My lathe is bench mounted and I've been looking at options for mounting the mouth of the hose near the headstock. I'm considering either a monitor arm, or maybe a short length of stayput hose. Or there might be another option that doesn't involve spending money ;)
I tried a couple of different stayput hoses but never got on with them as they didn’t completely live up to their name, plus if doing something longish I was moving it all the while whilst sanding.

The hood I came up with covered nearly the whole workable bed length* so no need to move it I can just get on with sanding & it was made from stuff I already had including the stand so cost me nothing.

*since I made it 6 odd years ago Ive bought a bed extension so really need to adjust the stand to make it easier move, but I’m also thinking of altering the lathe set up so it may well all get done at the same time.

Thanks Doug (y)

For now, I've gone with a short of 100mm pipe, a 90 and a 45 bend and hot glued the assembly to a split piece of Oak that was laying around. I've used the extractor today and it seems to working a treat, actually it's working so well, I wasn't sure if my sand paper for making any dust.

Back