Dust extraction from Startrite 351

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Question for 351 owners. What do you think of the dust extraction on this saw? I have not yet put mine into regular use but still see a load of dust accumulated in the lower section, with a 100mm hose, going down to 63mm for the actual extractor. Has anyone done any modifications to improve dust collection on theirs?
K

I've not made any modifications to mine. I run a 100mm hose straight to a fairly high power chip extractor. It takes away most of the visible airborne dust and keeps the lower wheel housing reasonably free of sawdust. I give it a good vac out after every few uses as the upper housing does accumulate a fair bit of sawdust. I would describe the dust extraction as average at best. However this is a minor gripe on an excellent bandsaw.

M

I had mine connected to my Axminster 63mm extractor via a flexible pipe. I couldn't believe how much dust was in there when I checked.

I was thinking of cutting a hole in the lower door for a 100mm pipe to fit via a flange. Not too keen on butchering the saw though. I'm going to try my new acquisition first - a single motor Yorkleen to see if the does the job. If not then it's out with the hole saw.

K

I have a square-to-round adapter underneath the table, held in place with the dust shield, and linked to an Axminster RDC100H vacuum. It probably picks up 50% of the dust, I plan to add something that goes underneath and behind the saw. Instead of cutting the frame, I was thinking of a floor vac type head, 100mm-to-flat rectangle that would fit under the base of the frame.

Helvetica":12xhtta4 said:
I plan to add something that goes underneath and behind the saw. Instead of cutting the frame, I was thinking of a floor vac type head, 100mm-to-flat rectangle that would fit under the base of the frame.

I've stuck a big mouth hood from Axminster under mine, it picks up a fair bit...only problem is that I now need an extractor with a fine filter rather than a flappy bag which blows dust everywhere on start up!

I might have found the solution. I did a search of this forum and found a link to a Rob Crossman youtube video, under the heading ' bandsaw dust collection, simple, effective and inexpensive'. It explains clearly how to fit an extraction pipe under the table, (which has been mentioned before, but this video gives plenty of detail). I'm going to try this first, before cutting holes.

K

I'd be interested to see how you get on. I now have a proper shop vac (Bosch Gas 25) which should work better than the Axminster

Latest posts

Back