Dust Extraction for Workshop in planning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutting42

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have been only too aware that my dust and chip removal strategy has been minimal at best :oops: , limited to a B&Q vacuum cleaner plugged into my ROS. However as most of my sawdust making is done outside the problem has not been that critical and I have spent my money on luvverly toys :tool: and not a slightly more mundane extractor system.

I am planning a "dream" workshop \:D/ in the garden of my new house when I move in later this year. Size probably about 20x12 where my tablesaw, SCMS, router table and P/T will be set up on castors semi permanently. I also have various dust producing hand tools.

I realise I need to do something but what? What size hoses, what power extractor, what about filters and what about dust? I don't have a huge budget but am thinking I should put this system into the budget for the build as it is - or should - be part of the infrastructure like power and a kettle etc.

Some advice please.

Powertools are best connected to a low volume high pressure extractor. Your work shop vacuum from B & Q will do this OK but a nice quiet one with power take off would be an upgrade there are lots to choose. The other machines will fair better with a high volume low pressure system but depends on the port sizes on your machines ideally these need to be 50mm or larger for that kind of system. Record, Scheppach, Electra Beckum all do go machines at reasonable prices that can be upgraded with fine filters to give you greater filtration. My advice would be to plan your workshop and work out what length of extraction pipe you will need. This will give you an idea of the size of the machine you need to give air flow.

IMO the ultimate would be a extraction shed on the side of the work shop with a cyclone and collection unit so that noise is kept down and ultra fine dust is not recycled back into the workshop.

Alot depends on the pipe run you need and the port sizes of the machines as to what will be the best solution.

Hi there, planning your dust extraction is a must for it to be effective and worth the quite large sum of money you will invest in it.

If you intend to move your tools then you can get away with a smaller extractor and a shorter length of hose. If you intend to plumb them in and keep all the main tools in their place then a larger extractor is needed to overcome the loses caused by friction in the ducting runs.

Depending on how serious you are in solving the dust problem straight away check out the Bill Pentz website and build yourself a cyclone. Then you can purchase some 0.5 micron filters from eBay and a second hand extractor from ebay aswell and just put them all together like Barry shows here

Aim for no less than 4 inch ducting, but 6 inch is prefered for larger 3HP+ extractors.

Have a read through the Bill Pentz website and see what you think, then if you have any more questions just ask away.

davy_owen_88":3n58awin said:
Have a read through the Bill Pentz website and see what you think, then if you have any more questions just ask away.

Hi Davy

Wow!!!! Bill can certainly generate words can't he. He also has some pretty strong opinions as well. Seems a bit like I am right and the whole industry is wrong which at first look seems a bit strong. Not sure I subscribe the view that every commerical brand is out to rip us off but PLENTY of food for thought.

cutting42":1aw72bcc said:
Hi Davy

Wow!!!! Bill can certainly generate words can't he. He also has some pretty strong opinions as well. Seems a bit like I am right and the whole industry is wrong which at first look seems a bit strong. Not sure I subscribe the view that every commerical brand is out to rip us off but PLENTY of food for thought.

Yep, I know what you mean. But he has tested these things so I trust him over most big companies, simply because we all know that making money is the priority of all businesses.

The main idea hes trying to get across is that you can build something better than you can buy and for cheaper. So why would anyone pay more for less?

I'm sure Barry will be along soon and give his insight on this matter. He's built a Pentz style cyclone and he can't say a bad word about it - the proof is in the pudding and all that.

Back