Durable Exterior Finish Required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gserghiou

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My new question to you all is :

I have a new oak door (stained in wallnut colour) and my carpenter varnished the inside of the door with normal varnish.

However i told him not to do the exterior as i want to put a more long lasting exterior suitable varnish.

i went to the diy store looking for Yaght varnish (cause it has UV filter etc) + my house in 200 meters from the sea front ! the door is actually in a shady area and will not see MUCH sun !!!

the man in the shop advised me to get the BLACKFRIAR EXTERIOR WOOD STAIN (slear satin finish)

i have tried it on a scrab piece of wood and its not actually a proper stainer rather it is sort of a varnish as well (3 coats)

does anyone have any opinios+experience using the mentioned blackfriar product and how suitable it is for my application !!!

or should i get the yaght varnish instead !!!

please give me your pro advice !!!!

Thanks in advance,

George

JonnyD":2rzbajkj said:
I would reccomend using sikkens woodstain see here

http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Products/Al ... ilter7.htm

You will need to apply a base coat of cetol HLS and then topcoats of Cetol Filter 7. In have been using this for a few years now with no problems. The stain is tinted and you can get a walnut tint.

jon

Hi Jonny,

thanks for the reply , but im afraid i could no longer wait and went ahead ans used the blackfriar exterior woodstain...its actually a stain and varnish thing...i got the clear finish, but the oak timber was already stained with a walnut stainer . i did the door frames and all went well...now im also doing the door !!!!

time will tell :wink:

thanks again,

George

Back