Drums & barrels: bungs, plugs, caps & closures - aaaahhhh!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear readers,

I need to securely close a bung / plug / cap / closure / trisure on a 205-Litre HDPE plastic drum. The specific type of bung is shown here:

8052_1.jpg

which is not to be confused with this type:

4263_1.jpg

I've spent quite some time trying to source a compatible bung wrench but as I'm currently limited to doing this in the evenings and online, I cannot find explicit assurance that advertised products will actually fit the bung shown in the first picture.

Would someone be so kind as to point me at an online vendor who sells a compatible wrench?

TIA,
Chris

dont know the size of the bung but something like a whizzer spanner with two pins if big enough would do it.
all the best
rob

When i delivered using barrels fitted with that type of bung our 'wrench' was a peice of flat steel about 4mm thick and cut to fit across the width of the inner dimension of the bung(if that makes sense?) although I did have the deluxe version with a handle welded across the top of the steel!

Thanks Rob and FH - you have inspired me to make my own bung wrench!

Firstly I made a transparent template of the internal profile:

bung_wrench_template.JPG

I then used the template to drill 6 x M6 holes in an oak offcut, shaped the offcut on the bandsaw into a wrench and finally attached M6 bolts:

bung_wrench.JPG

bung_wrench_closeup.JPG

Job done!

some time in the future your tool will turn up on a site like this and someone will be asking
"Does anyone know what this is?"
Jobs a good un
all the best
rob

Latest posts

Back