Driving standards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M P Hales

Established Member
Reaction score
As an hgv driver I have noticed over the last couple of years that the standard of driving and consideration for other road users has fallen dramatically.
The recent bad weather has highlighted the the vast majority of drivers have no idea how to handle the vehicle they are supposed to be in charge of or to allow for the size and weight of the vehicle they are "cutting up"
If a 38 tonne truck is on an icy road it can't stop on a sixpence (2 1/2p in new money) how do people expect to reach retirement age?

It would appear that on motorways the highway code has changed for the junction distance markers

/// is "Oh s**t is that my junction"
// is "got to get from lane3 to lane 1 NOW"
/ is"O s**t,standing traffic - hit the brakes - hope for the best"

Please allow extra room on the roads in the bad weather- my children would like me to come home after work
(don't think the wifes that bothered but thats another thread)

Take care out there

M

PS sorry about the rant but had a bad shift

Could you stop over taking each other on the M11 and taking 12 miles to do it. Can you not see the jams you cause?

Don't visit M11
work up North (thats above Watford gap)
Problem is limiters on trucks not all being set to same speed
Just as frustrating for HGV drivers as car drivers but we don't have the option to use lane 3
M

M P Hales":e61hctai said:
Just as frustrating for HGV drivers as car drivers but we don't have the option to use lane 3
M
You need to visit us in the midlands then. Our HGV drivers seem to think it is ok to use the 3rd lane. In the last month i think i have seen 6 HGV's use it. One driver even just went straight into the 3rd lane without indicating, nearly taking the front end of my car with him :twisted:
He then proceeded to drive in that lane for about 5 miles before going back into to 2nd lane, then into the first to undertake some one. Then back into the 2nd lane again.

And don't even get me started on the HGV drivers in the variable speed limit areas of the M6 - using the hard shoulder, lanes 1 + 2. So blocking up 3 lanes of the motorway :twisted: :twisted:

Any bets on how long this thread will become? My pet hate are private hire taxi drivers. they seem to think they own the road and can stop anywhere and do anything. I think the police need to crack down on them or some sort of advanced test be introduced.

Oh, and what about people who stop at empty roundabouts WAKE UP!!!

I do my best to be courteous.....no honestly, I do! But find I am in a minority. :roll: I really wouldn't like to be a full time driver these days.

On a level road like the M11 if another truck is overtaking mine with a minimal speed difference then I tend to lift my right foot for a few seconds. It doesn't make any difference to my journey time but makes everyone elses life a little bit less stressed. However I must admit not many other drivers do the same when I am overtaking.....

M P Hales":3ga9rxrp said:
Don't visit M11
M

Your welcome to try and use lane 3 on the M11. :D

doctor Bob":3dict3ue said:
M P Hales":3dict3ue said:
Don't visit M11
M

Your welcome to try and use lane 3 on the M11. :D

Thanks for the invite
Don't think I'd fit in lane 3 - it's full of cars overtaking those nasty slow lorries apparently!!!!
M

No, unfortunately it's just a dual carriageway pretending to be a motorway.

The A34 is another route used heavily by lorries which can be frustrating at times when lorries are overtaking at marginal speed difference and often uphill?
Annoying, but they are within their rights and I try not to get too wound up with them.
What is annoying are cars travelling at 65 mph in the outside lane when the middle lane is free.
There is a section of the A34 at The Ridgeway where HGVs are banned from the outside lane for most of the day.
I drive another section frequently where there are two lanes clearly marked - the inside for A34 and the outside for the A33 Basingstoke. The inside lane is much busier so the impatient ones overtake on the A33 lane, exceeding the 60mph speed limit, then force their way at the last minute across the ghost island hatching where the roads split away.
Happens all the time and very dangerous!

Rod

The newest thing I see now on the M1 up to Wolves when visiting family is the super econmical drivers. They are very dangerous.

They don't break coming up to traffic (or put hazards on). They coast up and you have to hit the brakes hard because there is no evidence that they are actually slowing down.

The other thing is the slip-streamers, who have been told that keeping as close as possible to the lorry in front will give them excellent aerodynamic advantage and they will use less fuel. Of course they end up in the blind spot of the HGV's mirrors so that the driver is completely unaware of their presence.

cor don't get me started on hgv's why is it they think they are the best drivers on the road, at round abouts they see you coming round passed where they are waiting to come onto the round about then just look you straight in the eye and pull out right in front of you making you brake and if you toot they give you the finger ,
also when you are on a round about just as you are about to indicate they start calling out w***er they seem to think you should indicate all the way round .if you were to indicate to early they also give you a mouth full of abuse
THEY THINK THEY OWN THE ROAD
grrrr pip

My favorite are ......track---ers . love em , we got plenty down ere , and if your lucky you might find a combiner .road hoggn at 35mph on a 60 . and ignore the queue of 300 cars . so amusing at 60p a litre and over laden with no trailer lights !! and breaking the distance rules .

As for lorries , bring back canal boats :roll:

pip1954":27y851xe said:
cor don't get me started on hgv's why is it they think they are the best drivers on the road, at round abouts they see you coming round passed where they are waiting to come onto the round about then just look you straight in the eye and pull out right in front of you making you brake and if you toot they give you the finger ,
also when you are on a round about just as you are about to indicate they start calling out w***er they seem to think you should indicate all the way round .if you were to indicate to early they also give you a mouth full of abuse
THEY THINK THEY OWN THE ROAD
grrrr pip

The point of the post was the general lack of forward planning and courtesy by increasing numbers of drivers.
Some HGV drivers are better than others as with car drivers or bike riders
I wasn't trying to make out that any type of vehicle user was better than any other just the lack of manners in general

It may not be possible or practical financially but if new drivers had to spend maybe 1/2 a day in a large vehicle they would get some idea of the limitations and amount of space needed by hgv's which would at least give some appreciation of the job proffesional drivers do.
I would add that the same is applicable to bike riders who obviously have different requirements.

A final point would be that if ALL road users had more manners and planned their maneuvers better the roads would be a SAFER and more pleasant place to be.

Regards to all

M

Latest posts

Back