Drilling pen blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracky1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

My first post so be gentle.

I went to make my first pen, I assumed my drill stand and drill would be fine but there is a small amount of play in the head of the stand resulting in a hole that's slightly too wide.
Is there a way to do it accurately without spending too much more money as SWMBO is getting twitchy.
I have recently bought, lathe, chuck, tools, pen blanks, pen kits, pen mandrel, finishing materials and calipers etc.
:D

Welcome bracky1. Have you tried using the lathe. Hold the blank square in chuck and use a tapered drill chuck in the tail stock. Where abouts are you, my parents have a house in Lockmaben and I spend some holiday time up there.

Mornin'.

Just use the lathe, cut your blanks to size. Mark each end so you can match the grain again. Fit each piece in the chuck so as the ends that will be together in the centre of the completed pen are the ends you start drilling from.

Just imagine it is a bench pillar drill lying on its side. :lol:

Good luck.

PS - Slow typing again. :roll: :wink:

PPS - Welcome to the forum, lots of pen folks here.

Thanks for the replys guys :)

Part of the problem is that the pen blanks are only square-ish and I'm worried that if I start planing them to square them up I'll be left with no blank
I think I'll turn them to round first, now to find my jacobs chuck.

Should I run the lathe fast, slow or medium?

Hi again Bracky.

Your blanks don't need to be perfectly square or round, as long as they will fit into the jaws of your chuck. Fit the end in the chuck as stated, slow speed, then feed the drill in from the tail stock end. The reverse to a pillar drill, turn the work instead of the drill.

Cheers Tep.

I've got 15 blanks, I think I'll just do them all.
Turn to round, cut to size keeping the grain marked, and drill.
That should keep me amused for the next hour or two :D

welcome to the forum bracky1, you will get some great help here. these guys and gals are fantastic.

Hi Bracky

Welcome to the forum I never turn my blanks first I always drill then turn, the reason being that if you turn first there is less wood there and mor chance of the wood splitting. I always use Gorilla glue or similar to glue my tubes in because if there is a little bit of slack the glue foams up and fills the gap. The only draw-back wit this type of glue is that it takes 24 hours to fully cure, but I find that it is cured enough in about 1 hour. In the past 18 months I have made over 900 pens and have had no problems doing them this way.

All the best

Malcolm

hi bracky
i will echo what Malcolm (penman) has just said, drill first then turn. I drill mine out using the lathe chuck and a jacobs drill chuck, no problems..
Welcome to the forums too :lol:

Well, I managed to complete 3 pens and they've all been claimed so I must be doing something right :)

Thanks for the advice, drill first turn later from now on.

I need to get out and about now to gather up some wood for a few more ambitious projects.

A very satisfying start to my new hobby :D

Bracky you've broken a forum rule I'm afraid. Users MUST post pictures of their projects or risk getting ceremoniously tutted at. [-X :whistle: :lol:

wizer":2tiu4jdh said:
Bracky you've broken a forum rule I'm afraid. Users MUST post pictures of their projects or risk getting ceremoniously tutted at. [-X :whistle: :lol:

Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to take a pic or two and they are now out of my possesion :D That's my excuse anyway.
I will endeavour to abide by forum rules for future projects though :D
When I have turned 900 pens can I call myself a pen turner?

bracky1":1asyl2jf said:
When I have turned 900 pens can I call myself a pen turner?

NO WAY! A pen turner must do at least 1000 pens before getting the diploma. That's why I'm only a turner. :cry: :cry:

Yes it is about 900 I have made in the last 18 months thats not counting the key rings or other bits and pieces.

malcolm

Back