Drilling Holes into Long Legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrockliffe

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got some 4" x 4" workbench legs, I need to drill 4 16mm holes into the end of each leg to a depth of around 50mm, with the holes as close to parallel with the length of the leg as possible. I have a pillar drill, but while I can get the table out of the way, I can't see how to ensure the bit is perpendicular by clamping the leg to something, and the drill is mounted on castors, so the leg needs to be fixed to the drill really to avoid wobble in the castors.

The only 16mm bit I have is a flat spade bit, so I can't use a jig and a hand drill and I'd like to avoid having to buy a drill bit so I can do the job this evening.

Any ideas?

Thanks

How about somthing like this?

forstner_bit_square_guide2_525.jpg

paulrockliffe":1n8vh9r2 said:
I've got some 4" x 4" workbench legs, I need to drill 4 16mm holes into the end of each leg to a depth of around 50mm, with the holes as close to parallel with the length of the leg as possible. I have a pillar drill, but while I can get the table out of the way, I can't see how to ensure the bit is perpendicular by clamping the leg to something, and the drill is mounted on castors, so the leg needs to be fixed to the drill really to avoid wobble in the castors.

The only 16mm bit I have is a flat spade bit, so I can't use a jig and a hand drill and I'd like to avoid having to buy a drill bit so I can do the job this evening.

Any ideas?

Thanks

One question, why?
It seems a lot of big holes in a small area, are you extending the legs or fixing on the top?

I extended my work bench legs by placing some blocks under each leg, then screwing a piece of ply to one side.

Pete

Racers":3hp8retx said:
paulrockliffe":3hp8retx said:

Any ideas?

Thanks

One question, why?
It seems a lot of big holes in a small area, are you extending the legs or fixing on the top?

"I need to drill 4 16mm holes into the end of each leg"
ITYF he means he wants to drill one 16mm hole in each leg, presumably for a levelling foot :)

A 4x4 block with a hole drilled in the pillar drill, a couple of ply sides clamp it on the end of each leg and drill.

Pete

NazNomad":7fpczijy said:
Drill it on it's side using the 'wedding ring trick'?

I would use a washer rather than my wedding ring, mostly because I lost it in a snowball fight!

Pete

A washer on the drill shaft will wander along the drill as you drill unless you are holding it horizontal.

Pete

I can't see the wedding ring trick at work, but it sounds like it would only work in one plane? Anyway, there's enough ideas there for me to be able to work something out, cheers!

I did mean 4 holes per leg, they're to attach the feet and to allow me to level my work bench. I think what I'm doing is in proportion with the strength of the work bench, you wouldn't want all that weight acting through just 4 x 16mm diameter studs I don't think?

My bench is leveled with shims, the weight is enough to keep them in place.

Pete

The bench can be jacked onto wheels and moved, so it's useful to be able to quickly re-shim it into it's new location. Obviously I'll probably never move it.....

paulrockliffe":5a0mgyuw said:
I did mean 4 holes per leg, they're to attach the feet and to allow me to level my work bench. I think what I'm doing is in proportion with the strength of the work bench, you wouldn't want all that weight acting through just 4 x 16mm diameter studs I don't think?

Depends how heavy your bench is but I'd have thought 4 x M16 bolts would be more than adequate to support a bench.
These feet from Axminster are made for benches and about an M8 thread, they are rated to 270Kg per foot, that's over a metric tonne for 4 feet.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-heavy-duty-lifting-levellers-100218?nosto=nto-st-pp-1

-Neil

if you are talking 4 x 16 mm steel bolts per leg, you could rest your house on those.
I've worked on 3 ton machines that have less support than that.

Back