Drilling dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
Im drilling small holes in some wood blanks but around the hole small wedges of wood have come off.
Is there anyway to prevent this happening?

try masking tape over the timber first, and drill through, should stop some of the splintering

If they are ordinary drill bits (designed for metal) they won't produce a clean hole in timber - better to use 'lip and spur' drill bits for wood - Rob

Are you using a sharp wood drill - lip and spur? If you are drilling right through the wood then make sure you have a backing piece held tight up to the exit hole area.

Andy

Yep I use backing wood.
I shall take note of the masking tape and the lip and spur thingy.
Thanks

If it quite a crucial hole that has to be very neat, you could try going through fist with a small drill bit, and then going from both sides with the correst side.

Here is some thing that I do some times so I dont get tearout which you can get with a lip and spur bit if it has not been sharpened right.

I start the drill in reverse so that the spurs mark the wood below the surface and the start drilling, you should get a clean hole.

Plus you can do it with a metal bit too ( just have to push harder ) :)

Lip & spur are usually best.
If the ones you've done are to be keept a small countersink bit may tidy them up, but will enlarge the opening which you may find unaccetable.

Hows the soldering and wirework thingies going :)

Latest posts

Back