Drill guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve used one of these for some small jobs.

I have the tapping guides and some of the holes are too tight for the stated tap. I lapped them out carefully until they fit properly.

It might be worth checking every hole in the one you have with the nominal size drill so you can address the issue if it has arisen rather than be caught out by it at an inconvenient time.

The Festool one fits the cordless drill that mysteriously came in the post the other day.

Lovely drill with loads of power if you're into that kind of stuff.

Wonder where it came from ?

I'd best keep hold of it for the moment, as it'd be rude to send it back.

The Festool one fits the cordless drill that mysteriously came in the post the other day.

I have the Makita brushless model and wondered why it came with such a ridiculously long but thankfully detachable adjustable steady, that is until I was using it with a similar drill bit to that in the video, and when it bound in the timber the torque damn near took my hand off! :oops:

I was toying with the idea of getting one of these for a chair project that I have lined up. I've already built myself some fixed guides for the legs, but this would be for the spindles. I started to design a variable one myself, but if the UKJ one works well enough, then it would certainly save me some time and effort.

I have the Makita brushless model and wondered why it came with such a ridiculously long but thankfully detachable adjustable steady, that is until I was using it with a similar drill bit to that in the video, and when it bound in the timber the torque damn near took my hand off! :oops:
Likewise the 18v Milwaukee Fuel. :)

If your money runs to it, buy the Kuka. An amazing piece of kit and so versatile!
Apologies, I'll get my coat😊

I am going to give the Milescraft one a go, for just wanting small vertical holes when the workpiece cannot either be taken to or fit under my pedestal drill. The UJK one is in my opinion overkill for my requirements and the Festool cannot warrant its price tag, there were others that if manufactured to a much better quality would have been contenders but the reviews were daunting to say the least. Another one that come up is from Rockler,

1699523526596.png
1699523596574.png
1699523904708.png

looking at the images I would think it comes out of the same door as the UJK except it has a 1/2 inch chuck.

Then Rockler has this vice
1699524340498.png
and UJK this one
1699524439059.png

I found the Festool in container and no batteries for a steal. Love it but many have said other brands more torque etc. use batteries from cordless saw

I am going to give the Milescraft one a go, for just wanting small vertical holes when the workpiece cannot either be taken to or fit under my pedestal drill. The UJK one is in my opinion overkill for my requirements and the Festool cannot warrant its price tag, there were others that if manufactured to a much better quality would have been contenders but the reviews were daunting to say the least. Another one that come up is from Rockler,

View attachment 169536View attachment 169537View attachment 169539

looking at the images I would think it comes out of the same door as the UJK except it has a 1/2 inch chuck.

Then Rockler has this vice View attachment 169540and UJK this one View attachment 169541
Looks exactly the same apart from the colours

Anyone brought one of these items, there is a fair choice out there and a lot with nothing but negative reviews so anyone got any buying advice or recommend a particular model ?

The one in the running at present is the Milescraft one at around the £50 mark, View attachment 169453why is this one so much more expensive at £175 ?
View attachment 169454
I use the rutlands one for drilling the base rails and handrails @ an angle to accept round 20mm spindles it’s absolutely bang on I also use it for drilling the holes for tubular latches on doors, the rods extend through the bottom and then it self centres on the door
It’s also useful for kitchen cabinet hinges although you do need to clamp it

Ok so here is some feedback on the Milescraft version of the drill guide. First it is mostly all metal which is better than some of the others which are moulded plastic but the footprint is too small which makes it unstable and with the spring fitted not very managable unless you remove the spring, this might be because there is only one spring on one side or it could be less powerful. The base actually sits on four little rubber feet that are there to stop it sliding but this does not help with accuracy as it can tilt from the vertical, not much but over the distance it makes a difference. One solution that might help is to pop out the four rubber feet and fit a wooden base to give it more support and possibly also clamp it down but doing this makes it pointless for my job of drilling countersink holes because the idea was to reduce the time needed by having a fixed depth and portability without the clamping. It is also worth pointing out that the depth stop is a really cheap bit of plastic where I doubt the thread is going to last that long, it really needs a better clamp to go round the 14mm support leg.

Another idea that would make it very usable would be if it had a wider base attached which then sat on two tracks that were clamped down, now it would slide along into each required drill point.

So my conclusion is that yes the more expensive Rockler / UJK version could well justify it's cost but I cannot say for sure as I have not handled one, in hindsight I would not have brought the Milescraft version.

Send it back !
If you hang on to it, those failings will only annoy you each time you try to use it. Take the return postage hit and thanks on behalf of the rest of us for sharing the details.

I've used the wolfcraft model and in all honesty found it a bit 'wobbly' and difficult to set at exactly 90 or 45 degrees.
The UJK one is horribly expensive though for what it is, but that said the UJK stuff is heavily overpriced

If you want a second opinion on it, feel free to send it over to me and I'll pop a bigger bit in the drill than this :)

20231110_121954.jpg

Latest posts

Back