Drill bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of your help.
I decided to purchase the Presto bits that AJ Temple suggested and the Fische HSS Brad point set from Axminster.

Cheers
Mark

Cant advise on drill bits for wood but if you are looking for drilling metal as MikeG said go for cobalt and invest in something like TTP HARD drills they are superb on harder metals and stainless steel

Buy a good cheap set to start with you can always buy decent ones as they need replacing. Most of the cheaper sets are good enough, as you progress your needs may change. A lot of problems drilling are speed for the size is incorrect(mainly in metal) and a good drill bit may be good at drilling a required size hole but is only as good as the machine you use. (ie; a drill press which has play)

I purchased the Fisch 25 HSS Brad point set for more precision work In wood. Expensive, but produce a superbly clean hole for decent timber work. For most work though, I just use a set of bog standard HSS bits from Screwfix and replace when blunt. I’ve never yet managed to sharpen drills to a factory finish, and for the price just replace them.

I like Fisch. Axminster sell them. They last very well and run true. Especially in a drill press you want them running true.
I had muddled along with "any old bit" and then bought a Fisch set on recommendation from here (might have been that nice Mr Temple in fact)... and it's great.
I think for beginners like me there are some things that are worth paying for - and the satisfaction of a really clean, accurately sized hole just where you wanted it is one of them. A good quality cross cut saw was another.

Back