Drill bits for piller drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-wan

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a more complete set of bits specifically for using my pillar drill, rather than the random assortment I have rattling around an old tupperware tub.

Probably going to order them individually from wealden tools and make my own drill bit holder.

I Will be drilling a mixture of softwood hardwood some green and some dried and plywood.

Would I be better to go for lip and spur bits or HSS bits with a V tip for use in a pillar drill with a firmly clamped work peace?

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think for the small (comparatively) cost I would buy a set of each then add any additional sizes as required. I use lip and spur myself and get the cheaper ones as I don't resharpen, just replace as required. When you look at a decent sharpener at around £70, that buys a lot of drill bits.

Agree 100%, lip & spur every time. And as you're buying one offs, not a set, try and get at least one 2mm dia. Hard to find (3mm can be hard enough sometimes) but I find 2 mm invaluable, especially for pilot holes for small screws. The Pillar drill holds the drill well enough (little to no sideways movement) that 2mm won't break easily. Just remember to back out and clear swarf frequently, especially with deeper holes.

BTW, I don't know if it applies to you, but I find lip & spur bits very good for drilling in plastics too.

Also agree, not worth it to try and re-sharpen, in fact I don't try and re-sharpen any twist drills below about 4 mm dia.

I have stopped buying cheap lip and spur sets after getting some with the spur off centre, I bought individual sizes from Wealden tools- no complaints with those

Back