Drawer Construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc_ni

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to price up/design a corner desk for someone at work, The plan I have come up with thus far is to make it out of 18mm (MR) MDF, the left and right corners of the desk will be supported by a chest of drawers on the left and a shelf unit on the right.

As of now the design for the drawer unit is:

Chest of Drawers.png

The drawer dimensions/construction will be:

Drawer.png

I was thinking of using the 18mm (MR) MDF for the box with 12mm (MR) MDF for the base.

I was wondering what people think of using MDF for the drawer construction.

On a side note, while checking the past posts on drawers I came across this company which I was thinking of possibly getting the runners from:
https://www.bullerltd.co.uk/

Has anyone any experience of using this company because if they are any good I will use them for future projects I have in mind for myself.

Attachments

• Chest of Drawers.png
    Chest of Drawers.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Drawer.png
    Drawer.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 145
I've used MR MDF for drawers before, but only when I know the loading will be very light. Birch Ply is generally a better bet. Haven't used buller - they look a bit expensive compare with e.g. manddonline.co.uk

I think you may have problems with the bottom being grooved in. MDF is very delicate across the layers when in small section so the bottom of the groove is likely to break away. If you are using MDF biscuiting may be a better option.

Chris

Back