Draw lining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm thinking of lining the drawer bottoms of the drawers I'm making as part of my current project with green baize, and I'd be grateful for thoughts on attaching the baize to the ply drawer bottoms. PVA perhaps?? Is there a traditional method?

All thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks, E

I water my PVA down a little to keep it smooth and even, about 1 part water to 4-5 parts PVA ish. I cannot be specific as I mix it by eye.

Thanks. I have the baize already so I'll have to stick it myself. Good tip for the future.

I've had a look through my Joyce and the list of glues given are: hide glue, shoemakers' paste, dextrin, casein and Cascamite One Shot. I'm not sure what constitutes shoemakers' paste. I've never used resin like cascamite so don't know if it would be to hard? I've used hide glue for veneering so I could experiment but I can foresee it might be tricky to use especially to avoid it soaking through. I haven't used dextrin or casein.

whilst Joyce 's book is an excellent reference, you must remember that it was written a long time ago and new easier to use adhesives are now available.

Dom

I've used PVA to stick baize to ply before, thin it down slightly and apply an even but very thin coat or it will bleed through if too thick. The baize should be stretched slightly so it goes on smoothly (or your'e liable to get wrinkles like Nora Batty's tights :lol:) and a warm iron with a clean sole is useful to set the glue. Beware tho' it's not as easy as it sounds to do a decent job so it might be worth doing a little practice piece - Rob

I know it may be heresy, but to line a box I made once I wrapped and stuck the felt around thick card bought from an art shop and then stuck the sections of card inside the box. It gave a perfect finish and also very neat edges

...and in terms of the glue I used, it was that spray on glue from the same art shop then PVA to stick the sections inside the box

regards

Jonathan

imho the best method for doing linings is on ART CARD , use a good spray mount adhesive ontyo the card, then with the baize lying flat down place card central onto it. Make "hospital corners" and re apply spray, fold baize ove and place under a heavy book.

This can then be put into the relevent place in one's drawer/box, and when wear and tear begins to show its head, the worn piece can be replaced..

Just my euro cents worth.

HS waiting for the rain to pass :-(

Back