draw dimensioms for blum runners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pave to help me work out the layout and draw.dimensions I need for.a.given (non standard) cabinet size? I have managed to confuse myself so much in the past that it made me despair :'( I can give you dimensions if it helps...
Thanks
Miles

What blum runners are you using, they are all generally based on the carcase internals less X amount for the width and nominal runner length less Y amount for length.

Jason

I suppose your using concealed tandem runners. If you use 16mm drawer sides the width of the drawer is 10mm less than the internal width of the carcase and the length 10mm less than the nominal length of the runner. You can use thicker sides and rebate them to 16mm but the drawer is still 10mm less than the internal width.

cheers

Jon

When I used Blum slides on the last couple of projects I got all the sizes and specs from the Blum website - I just spent a bit of time to make sure I had it all clear in my mind and it all fitted OK.

Misterfish

As all have said, the blum website has some clear drawings of tollerances etc for the different types of drawer runners available. Cost depedning, they do sell jigs for drawers and doors but these are jaw droppingly expensive for what they are IMHO.

Kreg also sell drawer allignment brackets to help you keep the runners correctly positioned but have not used these so down know how useful/effective they are.

Kev

Slightly off topic.

Have a look at the Grass Dynapro runners.

I have used Blum runners over the years but was recently introduced to the Dynapro which is a fairly new product from Grass, they are so much better to set up and adjust the front clips are better and the rear adjustment is alot better as well.

Blum are good but I think the Dynapro are better, I guess that what will happen is Blum will have to do some redesigining if thay are to keep their market share.

http://www.grass.eu/dynapro.html?L=1

Tom

JonnyD":vxb7luhm said:
I suppose your using concealed tandem runners. If you use 16mm drawer sides the width of the drawer is 10mm less than the internal width of the carcase and the length 10mm less than the nominal length of the runner. You can use thicker sides and rebate them to 16mm but the drawer is still 10mm less than the internal width.

cheers

Jon
Yes indeed those are the ones. Great help with the width - can you help with some of the other dimensions? I have managed to get very confused with:
1) the distance from the bottom of the draw edge and the bottom of the draw base (i.e. the space into which the runner sits)
2) I remember someone on this site had to cut out part of the front for the runner which seemed odd.
3) Working out where to scre the runner to the wall in respect of the top and bottom of the draw front to give the right gap between draws etc

Many thanks

Miles

misterfish":18gl3fr4 said:
When I used Blum slides on the last couple of projects I got all the sizes and specs from the Blum website - I just spent a bit of time to make sure I had it all clear in my mind and it all fitted OK.

Misterfish
You've done better than me as I just got confused :eek:ops Can you give any insights / keys into the layout of the drawings (e.g. what the right and left hand elements of the pictures mean!)?
Thanks
Miles

Go to the Blum website and get them to send you their free trade catalogue. It has everything you need to know in it and is much easier than ploughing through the website. You might need to make your letterbox bigger though!

Cheers

tomatwark":2svkdirx said:
Slightly off topic.

Have a look at the Grass Dynapro runners.

I have used Blum runners over the years but was recently introduced to the Dynapro which is a fairly new product from Grass, they are so much better to set up and adjust the front clips are better and the rear adjustment is alot better as well.

Blum are good but I think the Dynapro are better, I guess that what will happen is Blum will have to do some redesigining if thay are to keep their market share.

http://www.grass.eu/dynapro.html?L=1

Tom

Looks good, but boy is their site a triumph of design over usability!

Miles

Tom,

Have heard a few people recommend the grass runners. Where do you buy them from, couldn't see anywhere on the Grass site that you could actually buy them. Not the most user friendly site as had already been mentioned.

Are they comparable with Blum cost wise?

Kev

Bottom of draw side to underside of base is 12-15mm.

I find it easier to work on the internal draw width as then its not affected by the timber thickness, so internal widthof draw is carcase internal size less 42mm

With separate layon draw fronts you either need to notch the front & back of the draw box or just have shorter fronts & back. If its not a separate drawfront you don't need to notch the front.

Drilling the draw fronts will depend on your draw heights, spacings etc so there are no specific heights

J

Hi Kev

I get them from Hafele http://www.hafele.co.uk

As for price it depends on where you are getting your Blum ones from as the price really varies from supplier to supplier.

List price is about £20.00 +vat per pair for 450mm ones but there are discounts for quanities and the reps are quite good at sorting out a better price if you are using them frequently.

You can only deal with Hafele direct if you are trade but they do have distributors around the country.

Hope this helps

Tom

Latest posts

Back