Draper WTL90 Tailstock Weirdness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Draper WTL90 and while giving it a clean up I noticed that I can't secure the tailstock to the bed. The lever isn't threaded but can be locked in place by a small allen grub screw underneath the tailstock (pictured). Otherwise it just seems to spin freely. Am I missing something here?!

lIqXCs7.jpg

0j8pEYZ.jpg

Agree with above.

There should be a part that that hangs below the lathe bed and when you move the lever, the cam action clamps the tailstock to the bed.

Ah yes of course. Silly me. It doesn't look like it's in the box of parts, will see if the guy I bought it off still has it. Thanks for the help.

If you want the user manual & an exploded drawing with parts list PM me your email address.

your missing parts 42,43 and 44 from the drawing
42 YWTL90-42 51644 Bolt
43 YWTL90-43 51646 Clamp
44 YWTL90-44 51647 Hex nut

Hello Elbarto,
I have the same machine with grey paint (SIP)
I think the whole system needs some work as the tailstock will slide about on the bed.
I have to offer a straight edge up to the two centres, every time I need to turn something.
Luckily the cheapest MT2 tailstock I bought on ebay, has no bulge on the "boss" part of the chuck, so I can align it with the drive spur.
I imagine that it could be problematic, if trying to drill something accurately on this machine.

I plan to do something about this in the future, but I've other metalwork to do first.
I might do a thread on it, as I had a problem with it starting the other day....
not sure if its a capacitor problem, or an issue with the Reeves drive ?

I recall Chas mentioning he had one (Axi Perform paintjob) before, and mentioned something that sounded like these machines need
a lot of maintenance...
I might have to check that out before using it again.

Happy to help you out with pictures, or measurements if you need info on those parts.

Tom

I would say that this type of lathe has done more for the hobby turner (& some professionals) than probably any other lathe on the market.
Made under different names but basically the same - 10 speed, cast iron, revolving headstock, easy to work on, etc. etc.
The only reason I got rid of mine was because with the size of the timber that I was being given, it was walking across the floor. My floor is screed on top of concrete with a polythene membrane in between & I am loathe to screw anything into it.
I didn't even know there were grease points until I read about them on this forum, so for at least a couple of years the lathe went ungreased but wasn't any the worse for it - except it got a bit quieter.

Thank you Chas :D
I didn't want to pester you by asking.

Camera and calipers at the ready if you need Elbarto

Tom

Hi guys. Sorry, just seen these replies. Thanks for all the info! @Ttress, I haven't yet put it to use yet so haven't checked if everything is square and true. I did sort out the parts I needed to secure the tail to the bed so that's at least sorted.

Will give it some grease now that I know about the grease points...

Back